Relegation-haunted AFC Sudbury are beaten again

Marc Charles-Smith celebrates the opening goal for Harrow

Marc Charles-Smith celebrates the opening goal for Harrow


Ryman Premier

AFC Sudbury 1

Harrow Borough 3

It was an entertaining action-packed first half that produced chances at both ends but, in a disappointing second period, the Sudbury custodian Marcus Garnham more than compensated for his crucial error on half-time and saved his relegation-threatened side from a heavier defeat.

Craig Parker levels for SudburyCraig Parker levels for Sudbury

In front of 263 spectators the visitors started well with a Lewis Driver header safely claimed by Garnham and then Driver set up Marc Charles–Smith who struck a fierce shot that was brilliantly saved by the home keeper.

Sudbury responded when Sam Bantick’s corner was drilled low by Ryan Renshaw but was blocked and James Baker released Bantick who created space before powering his shot on target, but keeper Luke Williams punched clear.

Craig Parker then sent a square ball into the path of Bantick whose first time shot was again blocked by Williams and Tyler French’s cross was powerfully headed fractionally wide by skipper Sam Clarke that typified the home side’s misfortune in front of goal. The visitors went ahead in the 29th minute when the defence was caught napping and Marcus Charles–Smith latched onto a through ball and coolly beat Garnham from 18 yards.

However, Sudbury deservedly drew level on 38 minutes when a surging run by Joe Marsden produced the perfect low cross that was driven home by Parker. Bantick again tested Williams who punched clear and the keeper tipped over an effort from Marsden.

Craig Parker, left, and Sudbury celebrate his equaliserCraig Parker, left, and Sudbury celebrate his equaliser

Disaster struck for the home side on 45 minutes when Francis Babalola dispatched a low shot that Garnham spilled at the feet of Lewis Driver, who tapped in.

Immediately after the restart Marsden set up a great chance for Bantick at the far post, but he lifted over. The home side then lost momentum and gifted Harrow a third on 55 minutes when the visitors outnumbered defenders with ease, enabling Kurtis Cumberbatch to drill past the defenceless Garnham.

It was a feisty affair that saw six yellow cards as Harrow took control of the closing stages and Garnham excelled with a series of saves whilst at the other end substitute Danny Crow had two shots blocked. In the final minute Henshaw received a second yellow and Sudbury now face a huge challenge to survive.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un