Non-league football round-up

PUBLISHED: 12:30 25 April 2008 | UPDATED: 13:51 04 March 2010

NEEDHAM Market kept alive their hopes of winning the Ridgeons League Premier Division title thanks to a come-from-behind victory at home to Harwich & Parkeston last night.

NEEDHAM Market kept alive their hopes of winning the Ridgeons League Premier Division title thanks to a come-from-behind victory at home to Harwich & Parkeston last night.


Needham Market 2 Harwich & Parkeston 1

NEEDHAM Market had to come from behind to defeat Harwich & Parkeston at Bloomfields last night.

Needham went a goal down in the tenth minute when Steve Carrington crossed to scorer Dino Defeo who made no mistake. It was 22 minutes before Needham brought goal keeper Ed Wooton into action when he made a good save to keep out Tom Smith's fine effort. Defoe shot inches wide for Harwich when play was end to end.

Needham had a great chance from a throw in but John Thoroughgood's header from four yards out was easily saved by Wooton. Needham brought on Paul Berry in an effort to get a goal and they eventually Needham equalised in the 77th minute when Matt Buckle forced the ball over the goal line from close in. The 83rd minute Buckle was on the spot to grab the winner.

Walsham 0 Dereham 1

BUGG had to make a smart save from Dereham's Sam Willis and at the other end Deeks's long-range shot went just over the bar. The visitors went ahead on 27 minutes when an excellent passing move ended with Terrington shooting home. The game was then held up for several minutes due to a nasty injury suffered by the goalscorer, who had to go off.

Right at the end of the half an excellent free kick by Beaumont was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Bugg. Sam Willis hit a post when he might have made sure of the points, and Beaumont had three free kicks saved by Bugg. Walsham were not able to create clear chances and ended the game with just eight fit players.


Halstead Town 1 Ely City 1

After extra time: Ely won 7-6 on penalties

ELY lifted the Ridgeons First Division Knock-Out Cup after an exciting 7-6 penalty shoot-out at Mildenhall.

The game itself was a thrilling encounter with both sides moving the ball around well but with the defences on top. Two goals in the first 10 minutes of the second half got the crowd of over 200 on their toes. On 50 minutes Ely went in front when Lawrence hooked home following a free kick but five minutes later Harper crossed for Bryan to hammer home the equaliser.

Ely took advantage of the slope and peppered Halstead for long periods but were unable to score, and although both sides threw everything into the attack there were no goals in extra time.

Both sides scored their first four penalties, then both missed number five. They each scored number six and Daniels put Ely ahead with the seventh with what proved to be the winner as the unlucky Saunders saw his penalty saved by Pacey.


Dorchester 0 Braintree 1

BRAINTREE made the long journey to Dorchester on Tuesday knowing that only a win would keep alive their slim chance of a play-off place.

The Iron opened well with Quinton and Hawes prominent, but the relegated Pirates defence held firm for the first 15 minutes.

Despite almost total domination in the first half, all Braintree had to show was a Sullivan header which Ramos in the Dorchester goal saved comfortably, and a Quinton free kick which went just wide of a post.

The deadlock was finally broken on 56 minutes, Dorchester captain Alex Browne steering a header past his own keeper when under pressure from Russ Edwards.

Dorchester came more into it after this, but the Iron defence restricted them to long shots which went harmlessly over, or were saved by Morgan.

Playing on the break, Braintree could have added to the score but will be pleased with the three points that keeps their season alive until the last Saturday.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists