Non-league football round-up

PUBLISHED: 11:30 10 April 2008 | UPDATED: 13:51 04 March 2010

BRAINTREE'S push for the play-off places in Conference South suffered a setback on Tuesday night as they lost 3-0 at Hampton & Richmond, while AFC Sudbury's hopes of automatic promotion in Ryman League Division One North also received a nasty jolt with a 2-0 defeat at home to Canvey Island.


Hampton & Richmond 3 Braintree Town 0

BRAINTREE'S hopes of continuing their good form of late ended away to Hampton & Richmond on Tuesday night.

They made a solid start with half-chances for Hawes and Sullivan early on. Then a great move by the home side on 15 minutes ended with Alan Inns scoring with a rising drive from 25 yards. A terrible mix-up in the Braintree defence on 36 minutes left Elliott Godfrey with a simple tap-in to make it 2-0.

Hampton's big defenders dealt with all that came their way and Braintree's only shot of note was a header from Jolly that brushed the crossbar on 43 minutes.

Hampton made sure of the points on 80 minutes when Yaku broke clear and beat Morgan in the Braintree goal.


AFC Sudbury 0 Canvey Island 2

CANVEY kept their play-off hopes alive and dealt a blow to AFC Sudbury's title aspirations with a two-goal victory at King's Marsh on Tuesday night.

Corbell came close to giving Canvey a first-half lead, sending a free kick from the edge of the penalty area inches over and then as Canvey continued to look the more dangerous, Curran rattled the post with a 20-yard shot with Fani Buyan sending the rebound wide.

A downward header from David Head early in the second-half bounced up and over the bar, before Canvey took the lead with a controversial goal.

Smith was harshly penalised on the edge of the area with Corbell's low free kick being deflected past Neil. Neil then twice saved at point-blank range from West before Canvey made the points safe in the last minute with Luck slamming home an inch-perfect low cross from Rugg.

Waltham Abbey 1 Witham Town 0

THERE was only one goal in the game, scored by Albert Bolstock from a breakaway after a good build-up in the 39th minute.

Witham had good chances in the first half but the home keeper, Howard, made two good saves from McDonald.

After the break Witham completely dominated the game but just could not find the net, with wild shooting and two free kicks cleared off the line.

Potters Bar 2 Wivenhoe Town 2

THE visitors got off to a flying start in their search to avoid the drop when Woodcock fired them ahead after only seven minutes. Minutes later the same player was close to adding a second but he was denied by the keeper.

Things got better for Wivenhoe in the 29th minute when Adam Hampson seized on a loose ball in the box and his shot went in off a post.

Three minutes into the second half Potters Bar took advantage of a defensive mix-up to pull a goal back. The home side had the better of the next 20 minutes but Wivenhoe managed to weather the storm and Underwood was twice denied by the Potters Bar keeper.

Just when it looked as though the Dragons had seized three valuable points in their quest for survival Potters Bar equalised in the 89th minute.


Needham Market 7 Walsham-le-Willows 1

NEEDHAM Market closed the gap on Soham to seven points with four games in hand after dismantling Walsham on Tuesday night.

A fine first-half performance by Needham saw them gain a 3-0 half-time lead. Their first goal in the 10th minute came from a Danny Thrower corner which Rhys Barber bundled into the net. Kevin Bugg, Walsham's goalkeeper, made a great save from Joby Thorogood, but from the corner taken by Paul Berry, Rhys Barber headed past Bugg. Needham made it three when Paul Berry's shot hit the post and went into the net.

Just before half-time, Walsham's Matt Musgrove received a straight red card for a foul on Mark Bailey.

There were two goals in a minute at the start of the second half. First Rhys Barber headed in a Berry cross for his hat-trick, before Walsham went straight down the other end and Trevor Newman pulled one back.

Jobi Thorogood from 25 yards made it 5-1 with the best goal of the match, and then Thorogood set up Tommy Smith for number six. Just before the end Danny Pilcher made in 7-1 in the 80th minute.

Before kick off, chairman David Bugg presented Danny Thrower with a memento for his 100th appearance.

Woodbridge Town 0 Dereham Town 3

DEREHAM ran out comfortable winners of this contest at Notcutts Park on Tuesday night.

They took the lead in the 25th minute when Robbie Harris scored with a rising shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Lee O'Neill twice went close for Woodbridge before Dereham doubled their advantage in first half injury time when Scott Gray finished well after sloppy defensive play on the edge of the penalty area.

Woodbridge never seriously threatened to mount a fight back after the interval and it was no surprise when Nicky Howell added a third after rounding Marcus Garnham and slotting home from wide on the left.

Only a couple of good saves either side of the goal by Marcus Garnham prevented an even heavier defeat for Woodbridge.

CRC 3 Ipswich Wanderers 0

BOTH teams started the match like a chess game and the first chance went to Ipswich Wanderers after 15 minutes, but Haynes-Brown shot wide.

Straight away CRC scored the first goal after Carr headed home a free kick which was ripped into the area.

Wanderers went straight up the other end and hit the bar through Mills after he was put through by McGlone, with 10 minutes left of the half Wixon lobbed the ball over Hammond to make it 2-0.

The second half started off slowly, but 75 minutes Laws had the best chance for Wanderers. He was set up by skipper Smy, but his shot was tipped over by Beagle.

CRC had more chances then Wanderers, but they sealed the win in the final few minutes when Marriott slotted home after good work from Wixon.

The Wanderers could have had a consolation goal but McGlone's shot was well over the bar.


Whitton Utd 6 Long Melford 0

WHITTON put on a fantastic display to outclass their opponents. A sublime chip from Chris Williams put them ahead and Simon Hyde made it 2-0 at half-time.

Leon Ottley-Gooch added two second-half penalties and a late brace from Ronaldo Wright completed the rout.

Godmanchester 1 Hadleigh 1

A SHARE of the points was a fitting result to this lively contested match.

After a goalless first half Hadleigh went ahead after 59 minutes when a left wing centre from Dennett was headed in by Welton.

The equaliser came after 75 minutes when a free kick from near the half-way line reached the unmarked Nicky Hurst on the far post, who made no mistake with a well placed shot.

Debenham LC 3 Cornard United 0

DEBENHAM kept up their promotion challenge with a comfortable victory over a Cornard side that played the last 20 minutes with 10 men after Ben Russell had been sent off. The Hornets were already two goals up thanks to first half efforts from midfielders Rob Kemp and Garry Pratt. Stuart Jopling completed the scoring with a left-foot shot beyond ex-Debenham keeper Kevin Holland after Kevin Barker's quickly taken free-kick had allowed Warren Taylor-Holt to play the ball in low to Debenham's top scorer.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un