Non-league football round-up

PUBLISHED: 12:00 25 February 2008 | UPDATED: 13:49 04 March 2010


Braintree Town 1 Havant & Waterlooville 0

BRAINTREE Town beat FA Cup heroes Havant & Waterlooville on Saturday thanks to captain Bradley Quinton's second-half strike.


Braintree Town 1 Havant & Waterlooville 0

BRAINTREE Town beat FA Cup heroes Havant & Waterlooville on Saturday thanks to captain Bradley Quinton's second-half strike.

After the drama of last season's play-off semi-finals between these two sides - in which Braintree eventually progressed on penalties - this eagerly-awaited clash turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax.

Havant just about edged the first half, with Braintree keeper Nicky Morgan saving shots from Richard Pacquette and Tony Taggard, while the Iron's only worthwhile effort was a Lee Burns header that skimmed the bar.

Braintree started the second half showing more urgency and, with Richard Jolly and Andy Porter forcing saves from Havant keeper Scriven, the Essex side looked the more likely to score.

The breakthrough finally came with 15 minutes remaining when a flowing move, started by Robbie Martin, saw Micky Shinn find Quinton with a defence-splitting pass and, from wide on the right, the skipper fired across the keeper and into the net.


Heybridge Swifts 2 AFC Wimbledon 1

A SECOND-HALF brace from new signing Reggie Savage earned Heybridge Swifts three crucial points and brought AFC Wimbledon's race for the championship to a stuttering halt.

The second-placed visitors had made the perfect start when, after just four minutes, a loose ball in the area fell to Luis Cumbers who prodded home to give his side the lead.

AFC Wimbledon looked the more incisive and they were unfortunate not to go further ahead when Daniel Webb's shot from 10 yards was denied by an outstanding save low down to his right from Ollie Saunders.

The second half saw relegation-threatened Swifts transformed and they equalised when Savage struck a gorgeous goal from 18 yards to round off a fine move that was started by impressive skipper Adam Gillespie.

Swifts had their opponents under pressure and, with 15 minutes remaining, Savage scored again, firing home with the outside of his left foot after the irrepressible Gillespie had again started the move.

Chelmsford 0 Horsham 0

CHELMSFORD moved 10 points clear at the top with this draw against Horsham.

With fellow Essex side Heybridge beating AFC Wimbledon, City's draw also stopped Horsham, a side with a number of games in hand, gaining ground on them.

The Clarets went closest in the first half when, after 27 minutes, Bertie Brayley's spectacular half-volley landed frustratingly wide.

Horsham's Charman started the second half off with a decent chance as his dipping effort from the edge of the penalty box had to be tipped over the bar by City custodian Danny Gay.

The remainder of the period was hardly a spectacle until the 81st minute when Dean Lovegrove's hopeful 40 yard effort sailed over the crossbar.

The main talking point, however, arrived three minutes from the end as visiting Hornets' defender Stuart Myall was dismissed for a needless second caution after kicking out at a Chelmsford defender.


Bury Town 1 Maldon 1

MALDON Town put in a battling 10-man performance to secure a good point at Bury Town.

In a lively start, Bury's Steve Bugg was twice denied by fine saves from Darren Gould, while another Bury effort was cleared off the line.

The Suffolk side eventually took the lead in the 38th minute with a twice-taken penalty. Adam Holmes handled Lee Smith's goalbound header and was duly sent off and, although Danny Cornwell's spot kick was well saved by Gould, the referee ordered a retake after some encroachment, and Gavin Johnson took over to score.

The 10 men of Maldon came out fighting at the start of the second period and got back on terms after an hour. Bury failed to effectively clear a free kick and, when the ball was fed back into the danger area, Kevin Hawes was on hand to fire past Dean Greygoose.

Bury dominated possession for the rest of the game, however Maldon bravely held out for the point.

Wivenhoe 2 Enfield Town 0

WIVENHOE, the previous whipping boys of the division, have recorded their third win in eight days.

Despite a lack of possession, Wivenhoe probably had more of the chances in the first half and Townrow went closest, heading over from a Shepherd free kick.

The Dragons took the lead in the 59th minute when Underwood dragged the ball back inside defender Harvey who inadvertently sent the 20-yard effort into the bottom corner of his own net.

The Dragons dominated for the rest of the half against the play-off hopefuls and, with the game drawing to a close, Underwood tapped in at the far post to seal the win.

Tilbury 1 Witham Town 2

WITHAM Town recorded their first win under the caretaker management duo of Tony Last and Paul Daley at Tilbury on Saturday.

The Dockers, third from bottom in the table, took an early lead when, after just three minutes, the ball was scrambled home in the box, Erkan Yusuf credited with the last touch.

Keeper Rhys Maddan and defender Natham Fletchers made impressive debuts for the visitors as Witham fought back.

After a couple of good chances went begging, Witham eventually equalised in the 35th minute when David Hawes was fouled in the box and Rob King tucked away the resultant spot kick.

After weathering a spell of Tilbury pressure after the break, Witham got back on top of the game, scoring what proved to be the winner when Hawes netted from close range following Phil Goodwin's through ball.

Northwood 0 AFC Sudbury 1

A SINGLE second-half goal was enough to maintain AFC Sudbury's title hopes at Northwood and extend their unbeaten run to nine matches.

In an uninspiring match the first half was littered with mistakes and, with defences on top, few chances were created.

In a much improved second half, Sudbury got the all-important goal in the 50th minute when Heath rose above his marker to send a powerful downward header past Swain.

Hewitt should have equalised but headed wide from six yards before Munson preserved the lead with two superb saves at full length.


Wroxham 2 Needham Market 1

NEEDHAM Market have dropped into second place following defeat at Wroxham.

Soham Town Rangers have taken over at the top by two points, however Needham still have a game in hand.

Needham had taken the lead through Lewis Pemberton following a Paul Berry free kick, however the hosts levelled just four minutes later with a fine goal by Andy Key.

Wroxham's Hilton blazed over an open goal but, after Jones had made an outstanding save, Ben Thompson netted from a corner for what turned out to be Wroxham's winner.

Felixstowe & Walton Utd 4 Leiston 1

FELIXSTOWE & Walton United collected their first league win over Leiston in seven games with a quality show of finishing.

The hosts took the lead after 26 minutes when Leiston defender Lowe sent a thumping header past his own keeper.

Leiston threw everything at the home side after the break and, for 20 minutes, were camped in the Felixstowe half.

Having weathered the storm, Felixstowe broke out in the 67th minute and Phillips crossed for Calver to send a firm header past Stannard.

Four minutes later Claydon, looking yards offside, again made space on the right to lift the ball over Stannard and leave Frost with an empty net to tap the ball home.

Crump failed to hold Allen's initial effort and Chennery fired into the roof of the net with 12 minutes left, but Felixstowe captain Frost latched onto a loose ball and hit an unstoppable shot beyond Stannard two minutes later to secure the points.

Woodbridge 1 Wisbech 1

THIS game will best be remembered for an event as rare as last week's eclipse - a goal by Woodbridge skipper Jamie Scales. The defender, who had previously scored just twice in more than 300 matches for the club, volleyed home at the far post in the 63rd minute after Jon Bickers had headed on Ben Seaman's left-wing corner.

The goal cancelled out the opener scored by Wisbech right-back Lewis Cook, whose 13th-minute shot from just outside the penalty area arced over Marcus Garnham and just under the crossbar.

Both sides had chances to win the match, with visiting keeper Chris Horton making good saves from Allicion Blake, Dean Tournay-Godfrey and Bickers in the first half and a Gerard Nash header in the second half, while Wisbech failed to take advantage of some promising positions due to poor finishing.

In the final minute of normal time, before 10 minutes of injury time, Woodbridge substitute Craig Jennings lifted his shot over an open goal.

Lowestoft Town 3 Harwich & Parkeston 1

THREE quick-fire first-half goals saw 10-man Lowestoft overcome Harwich & Parkeston for their first league win in four matches.

Lowestoft took the lead after 29 minutes when a fine counter attack was finished off by Gary McGee.

The game threatened to turn upside down when Dale Cockrill's careless tackle on Lee Barrett saw him dismissed for a second booking.

However Lowestoft added a second two minutes before the break when King's in-swinging corner was headed home by McGee.

On the stroke of half time Harwich defender Matt Stace inexplicably lobbed Wootten for a comical own goal.

The second half saw the hat-trick-hunting McGee squander two decent chances before his header from substitute Craig Lewis's deep cross was cleared off the line by the covering Martin Calver.

Harwich deservedly pulled a goal back after 62 minutes when a long free kick came off a grounded Bloomfield and the tireless Scott Page was on hand to finish.

Haverhill Rovers 3 Kirkley & Pakefield 1

HAVERHILL ended their four-match losing streak by handing out the first defeat in eight on Kirkley.

The hosts opened the scoring after six minutes, the returning Lee Wilson putting in a cross from the left for Wayne Goddard to head past Nathan Pauling.

Haverhill doubled their lead after half-an-hour via another Wilson cross, this time from the left with the debuting Russell Bull heading into the bottom right corner.

Kirkley pulled a goal back nine minutes after the break, some close control in the area by Bodie Carter setting up Chris Henderson to his left, whose first-time effort went in off the far right upright.

Haverhill's win was sealed in the 71st minute when Jamie Thurlbourne's square ball came off the heels of Nick Impey for substitute Adam Ben-Saud to put his effort into the bottom left corner off Pauling's fingertips.

Walsham 1 Mildenhall 2

MILDENHALL came from behind to beat Walsham-le-Willows with two second-half goals.

The visitors had the better of the early play without creating clear-cut chances, before Walsham broke the deadlock when, after Mildenhall failed to clear their lines from a corner, Ben Luxford netted with a terrific left-foot volley.

After the break, Mildenhall equalised through an accurate shot from Paynter. The same player then had a shot pushed onto a post by Bugg, but Spriggs shot home the loose ball for what turned out to be the winner.


Stowmarket 0 Whitton 4

WHITTON United thrashed rivals Stowmarket Town in this one-sided derby.

The Greens took the lead after 12 minutes when Duane Wright crashed home an unstoppable free kick from the edge of the penalty area.

The lead was doubled after 26 minutes when Hyde was allowed too much time and space to hammer another shot past Charters.

Wright got his second after 58 minutes when he struck another fierce shot past the outstretched hands of Charters, before Ottley-Gooch added a fourth after 87 minutes, diving to head home a superb cross from Beech.

Halstead 2 Gt Yarmouth 4

HALSTEAD'S promotion hopes took a distinct dive when they were humbled at home by lowly Great Yarmouth despite taking a two-goal lead.

In the opening five minutes Halstead made the ideal start when top-scorer Chris Bryan slotted home a Ross Barton pass at the second attempt.

Great Yarmouth rarely threatened from then on and Halstead looked on their way to victory after 65 minutes when another brilliant Bryan effort left Pride well beaten.

However, just three minutes later, Yarmouth cut the arrears through a Stuart Roach header, after which the visitors dominated.

The equaliser came after 75 minutes when Adam Sewell released substitute Liam Bartley to break through and pick his spot.

Five minutes later Bartley struck again with an overhead effort while completely unchallenged and further misery was imposed on Halstead when Nick Crawley ran through with barely a defender in sight to net at the second attempt.

FC Clacton 2 Saffron Walden 1

FC CLACTON came from behind to beat play-off hopefuls Saffron Walden.

After a fast, free-flowing half ended goal-less, Saffron Walden opened the scoring in the 48th minute when Tom Richardson headed home a right-wing cross from 10 yards.

The Essex side drew level four minutes later when Sean Hillier battled to win possession inside the area before crossing for Waters to head into an empty net.

Craig Rulton made a fine save to deny Richardson a second and then Clacton completed their come-back with a goal from defender Gareth Gibson, who forced home from close range, the ball adjudged to have crossed the line by the assistant referee.

Fakenham Town 0 Debenham LC 0

DEBENHAM'S promotion challenge faltered as, for the second time this season, they failed to beat bottom side Fakenham.

The Hornets took 40 minutes to stamp their authority on a poor first half but could still have led at the break as Stuart Jopling failed to connect with Rob Kemp's cross in front of goal, while strong claims for a penalty when Warren Taylor-Holt was felled in the area were waved away.

The second half was a slight improvement for Debenham, with Jopling and Glyn Roberts seeing efforts cleared off the line and Garry Pratt's venomous volley being deflected wide.

However, in the end it needed a great save from keeper Craig Ellis, allied with good fortune, to survive a penalty appeal that saved the Hornets' blushes.

Gorleston 1 Hadleigh 3

THREE second-half goals were enough for Hadleigh to win at Gorleston.

With the game goal-less at the break, Rose and Welton combined to set-up Payne to put Hadleigh ahead soon after the restart.

A centre from Myhill was headed home by Chris Smith to increase the lead but, when was adjudged to have pushed a Gorleston forward in the area, Ingram coverted the resultant spot kick.

Hadleigh had to defend strongly as Gorleston attacked, but the points were secured five minutes before the end when Dennett scored a spectacular goal from 30 yards.

Long Melford 0 Godmanchester Rovers 1

GODMANCHESTER Rovers sealed victory with a scrappy goal in a scrappy game.

With the game all set for a goal-less draw disaster struck for the home side after 71 minutes.

Long Melford defender Alder missed the ball attempting to clear and, although Stephen Hurst's attempted shot was blocked, the ball deflected off Melford substitute Danny Brind to wrong-foot keeper Croll and roll agonisingly into the net.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un