Non-league football round-up

PUBLISHED: 16:45 18 February 2008 | UPDATED: 13:49 04 March 2010


Bognor Regis 2 Braintree Town 1

THIS was a classic game of two halves at Bognor on Saturday as Braintree dominated the first half, but crossed over at the break just one goal to the good having squandered numerous chances to build an unassailable lead.


Bognor Regis 2 Braintree Town 1

THIS was a classic game of two halves at Bognor on Saturday as Braintree dominated the first half, but crossed over at the break just one goal to the good having squandered numerous chances to build an unassailable lead.

First Micky Shinn fired wide when clear in front of goal and James Hawes brought a great save from Bognor keeper Craig Stoner.

Just on half time Hawes at last put Braintree in front, breaking forward into the area and firing wide of the keeper to cap a good half.

Bognor tore into the Braintree defence in the second half and only some heroic saves by Nicky Morgan kept the Iron in front but on the hour Bognor drew level. A free-kick by Chamberlain found the unmarked Jupp who powered his header goalwards. Morgan somehow managed to push it out but it fell to Bognor captain Chris Breach to head the ball over the line.

With Braintree hanging on it was only a matter of time before Bognor scored again, a stinging shot from Alex Haddow had Morgan again in action but his one-handed save left the ball in the path of Mark Knee to tap into an empty net.

Braintree tried to get back on terms but found Stoner in good form and with this defeat the play-off places seem out of reach this season.


Wealdstone 1 Chelmsford City 2

CHELMSFORD put the previous week's misery behind them to grind-out three points at a difficult location thanks to a goal in each half from Ollie Berquez and Dean Palmer.

The Clarets maintained their 12-point advantage at the top of the Division and remain odds-on for the title after coming from behind to return home with a victory from Chestnut Avenue.

With right-back Greg Oates nursing an injury that has him on crutches and left-back Chris Duffy suspended, Palmer and Spencer Knight took their respective places in the side while winger Jon Keeling was preferred to youngster James Lawson at the attacking end of the team.

Chelmsford were forced to sit up straight after falling behind in the 17th minute, a delivery into the box landing perfectly for Ryan Ashe to shoot on the turn and low past goalkeeper Danny Gay. However, the Clarets had no intention of losing back-to-back matches and levelled proceedings on 33 minutes.

Keeling's flighted corner-kick to the far post was headed back into the danger zone by Palmer and, when Jamie England's weighted volley was palmed out by keeper Keita Karamoko, Berquez was on hand to head home the loose ball.

Just prior to the interval Karamoko was forced into a splendid double save from England 'C' International Ricky Holmes but he could do nothing about Palmer's 55th-minute headed goal, direct from another Keeling corner, which proved to be the deciding factor.

Folkestone Invicta 2 Heybridge Swifts 2

HEYBRIDGE recovered from a two-goal deficit to salvage a point at Folkestone.

They began with new signing Reggie Savage up front and Daryl Bourgeois returning to the heart of the defence alongside Stafford Browne.

Swifts fell behind after just six minutes and things then got worse as manager Brian Statham was banished to stands after contesting a booking for Adam Passfield. Mid-way through the half the home side doubled their advantage when a poor clearance was fed back into the area for Bremner to score. Browne became the next name in the book and he then conceded a penalty, but this was superbly saved by Ollie Saunders.

After 54 minutes Swifts secured a lifeline when a Passfield free kick was headed towards goal by Sean Marks, Browne nipping in to head home past the keeper. A double substitution saw Nathan Clarke replace Passfield and George Lay on for his debut in place of Dave Wareham. Swifts continued to press with Marks shot tipped over the bar on the hour mark.

Folkestone continued to be a danger and a header was cleared off the line by Ryan Hull with Saunders beaten. At the other end Danny Barber fired across an exquisitely struck corner on 72 minutes for Savage to head into the net at the far post. Both sides had chances to win, and with time running out a header from Bourgeois went agonisingly past the far post. Folkestone were reduced to 10 men minutes before the end, but in the end it was a good point for Swifts, with Saunders' penalty save the pivotal moment.


Gt Wakering Rovers 1 Wivenhoe Town 2

WIVENHOE responded to three defeats in fine fashion by securing their second away win of the season. Once they got in their stride they dominated the match and the only surprise was that all they had to show for their superiority was a 30th minute Stewart Nethercott header when they reached half time.

The Rovers goal had led a charmed life as Underwood saw a shot turned onto a post by Green and then the follow-up struck the bar. Townrow had a couple of shots blocked and also saw a shot rebound from the bar. Mckinney in the visitors' goal was a virtual spectator but was called into action only once when his double block protected the Dragons' lead.

It was much the same after the break as Wivenhoe did everything but score. In the 67th minute Rovers equalised when Foy levelled with a super strike. Wivenhoe survived the setback and Green twice denied Underwood and the powerful Townrow was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

Just when it seemed that justice would not be done Danny Hart ran 40 yards straight at the home defence and then produced a clinical finish to seal a deserved victory in stoppage time.

Maldon Town 2 Ware 3

ANY realistic chances that Maldon had of getting into the play-offs faded when they went lost to Ware on Saturday.

Maldon, playing an unusual 4-4-2 formation due to the absence of Glen Revell (suspended) and captain Ollie Blackwell (injured), fell behind after eight minutes when John Frendo took on the defence with some clever foot work and placed the ball beyond Darren Gould.

Ware continued to push forward and found Darren Gould in good form again, but as the game went on Maldon came more into the action, although they weren't helped when the referee awarded a penalty for what looked like a 50/50 ball and much to the supporters' surprise Frankie Everitt was sent off as in the opinion of the referee he was the last man. Frendo made no mistake from the spot.

The second half started with Russell Tanner replacing Gary Howard with Dean Parrott, which seemed to give Maldon new life and their hard work was rewarded by a superb goal when Kevin Hawes went to the byeline and placed the ball on the foot of Steve Wareham to score after 62 minutes.

Maldon's 10 men now came into their own and forced Ware back into their own half until the 81st minute when Gould mishandled a cross and it spun into his own goal to make it 3-1 to Ware. Maldon continued to force the play and pulled a late goal back when Wareham beat the offside trap to score his second.

Witham Town 0 Brentwood 2

ALTHOUGH suffering yet another defeat this was a much better battling performance by the Witham team showing a better attitude than in recent weeks.

Paul Daley, the home keeper, made two outstanding saves early in the game, while at the other end a header hit the visitors' crossbar but the first half was a midfield battle with little goalmouth action.

After the break Witham staged a few attacks and after a good build up Rob King fired over the crossbar, Blues keeper Marc Palmer saved a shot from Joe Smith and for a while it looked as though Witham were going to get something out of the game. Alas, after a good run, a cross by Joao Carlos saw Jonathan Whittaker slot in from close range and then in the 90th minute Riki Holmes fired in to make sure of the points.

AFC Sudbury 5 Waltham Abbey 0

AFC SUDBURY kept up their top-of-the-table challenge with a five-goal rout of lowly Waltham Abbey on Saturday.

Despite dominating the first half they struggled to break down a resolute defence behind which keeper Hickman dealt with everything, saving well from both Rowe and Boardley before the breakthrough came in the last minute of the first half courtesy of an own goal by defender Mensah.

The introduction of substitute Bacon finally opened up the floodgates when he cleverly dummied Head's pass allowing Heath to run on and beat Hickman with a well-placed shot.

Heath then doubled his tally minutes later after Bacon had given Rowe the chance to beat two defenders on the byeline before crossing into the area where Heath beat Hickman. After David Head had struck the bar with a powerful header it was Bacon who was on hand to force home the rebound and then Rowe rounded off the scoring, running on to Boardley's last-minute cross to score from close range.

Ilford 0 Bury Town 1

ON A hard bumpy pitch, Bury recorded their fourth successive win in a game in which good football often proved difficult.

Ilford had the better of the opening exchanges, but were unable to get a shot on target.

They were made to pay after 18 minutes when in only Bury's second real attack, Lee Smith got clear on the right and his cross was volleyed home by Sam Reed. Bury then settled and Michael Steward went close from the edge of the box and Sam Reed was denied by a good block by Marrable in the home goal. Ilford were still having the bulk of the possession, but their best efforts were coming from corners and long throws and rarely troubled Dean Greygoose.

Sam Reed had a great chance to double the lead soon after the restart, but his lob was cleared off the line after beating the keeper. The home keeper then produced a fine block to deny Lee Reed, and Liam Barrett's lob hit the top of the bar, as Bury continued to push forward

A 20-yard dipping drive from Danny Cornwell produced the save of the match by Marrable and Greygoose preserved Bury's lead with a good block when Nicholas Ogbanufe got clear of their defence.

The final 15 minutes produced few chances as both sides struggled to put passes together on the difficult surface.


Harwich & Parkeston 0 Stanway Rovers 3

IN THE early minutes Harwich looked a different team to that which got a 7-0 thumping at Wroxham last week. Chances went begging for the home side as they looked to assert themselves on the match, Ollie Mann watched his low cross ricochet off Kirby in the 10th minute forcing Church in the Stanway goal down to his right.

Sam Newson was a constant threat to the Harwich goal and it was his 15th minute strike from a tight angle that Wootten skilfully parried away to safety. Stanway opened the scoring in the 36th minute, May was adjudged to have fouled Callender in the area allowing Harrop to successfully convert the spot-kick.

The visitors passed the ball around with a new-found confidence in an energetic second half and doubled their lead in the 60th minute when Curtis, on the right, drilled in a low cross which was met cleanly at the back post by Sam Newson. Harwich never tired in pressing forward and the introduction of Morley gave a fresh pair of legs to the midfield with both Mann and Calver forcing Church to be at his best. But Ben Newson made it three for the visitors on the stroke of full-time.

Mildenhall 5 Felixstowe & Walton Utd 1

JOHN Sands and Owen Paynter shared five goals between them as Mildenhall went nap.

Mildenhall went in front on 22 minutes when Musgrove slipped the ball to Paynter and when his shot rebounded off the post Sands was there to fire past Crump. The second followed ten minutes later when Spriggs sent over a cross to the far post and Paynter headed powerfully home.

Felixstowe rallied after the break but were stunned when on 69 minutes Crump pushed out Sprigg's shot straight to Paynter and he made no mistake in lashing the ball home. Two minutes later it was 4-0 when Crump failed to hold Musgrove's effort and Sands reacted quickly to fire into the corner of the net. Calver got a consolation goal direct from a free-kick with three minutes to go but Sands completed his hat-trick in the last minute from the penalty spot to give the home side a resounding victory.

Walsham-le-Willows 2 Lowestoft Town 2

LOWESTOFT had most of the early play but the best early chance fell to Brown who headed against the post. Musgrove and Deeks were controlling the midfield and Brown was creating havoc in the box.

Lowestoft took the lead after 28 minutes when Walsham failed to clear a corner and Woodrow scored from close range.

Lowestoft were now in total control and McGee hit the post, before Lowestoft had a good penalty appeal turned down. Brown went close for Walsham on two occasions near the end of the half.

Walsham started the second half well and Thorrold crossed for Brown whose header was cleared off the line. The visitors had a good spell before Walsham broke and Thorrold's cross was only half-cleared to Musgrove who shot home with a superb volley from the edge of the box.

Lowestoft then regained the initiative with McKenna heading against the bar, from a long throw Cockerill turned and shot home from the edge of the box to regain the lead for the visitors. In desperation Walsham made a double substitution and Wake's free kick was knocked home by Clarke with his first touch of the ball.

Kirkley & Pakefield 2 Dereham Town 1

KIRKLEY and Pakefield completed their second double of the season with a hard-fought win over Dereham Town. The visitors had the best of the chances up to the half hour mark then took the lead with a thunderous drive by skipper Adam Gusterson which nearly broke the net.

Kirkley hit back instantly with a thunderbolt out of the blue from Nathan Stone from 25yards. Dereham shaded the half but it was Kirkley who bossed the final 45 minutes, although Stone blotted his copybook by getting dismissed in the dying seconds for two yellow cards.

It was Paul Highfield who wrapped up the points for the home side following a left-wing corner when he headed neatly past keeper Marshall. Cedric Anselin, the former Norwich City, midfielder went close in the 88th minute to rescuing a point with a curving drive but Kirkley deserved the win to keep their unbeaten run in 2008 with five wins and a draw.

Haverhill Rovers 0 Norwich Utd 5

HAVERHILL went down to their fourth consecutive defeat as everything Norwich touched turned to goals in this encounter.

They netted once in the opening period, a cross from the left after 27 minutes seeming to be harmless as home goalkeeper Arron Benstead rose to collect it; lack of concentration and the sun in his face caused him to drop the ball and Paul Atkins turned it into the net.

He doubled his account in the 59th minute after he burst down the right and broke the hosts' offside trap just inside their half before putting the ball between Benstead's legs.

The away side were 3-0 up four minutes later following a loose ball in the six-yard box, Shaun Bammant taking advantage to put the ball into the far bottom right corner.

The fourth goal came via Adam Smith after 83 minutes when he came inside and beat Benstead at his near upright from the edge of the area. The scoring was completed a minute into injury time from the penalty spot, Marcus Hunt fouling Bammant in the box and Ryan Haynes netting the kick.

Leiston 2 Newmarket Town 0

IN THE end this was a comfortable victory for the home side, but the visiting Jockeys must have wondered how they didn't get something from the game after wasting so many first-half chances.

The chief culprit was striker O'Brien who missed five great chances in the opening half hour. Only a top-class save from Stannard denied him an opener and after two more close range chances, Leiston took a 17th minute lead. George crossed from the right, J Chenery headed down and after Abouboush had blocked his first effort, Lowe lashed home from 15 yards.

On 36 minutes some trickery earned Cunningham a penalty but Paynter dived to his left to keep out Cunningham's spot kick. It would have been harsh on the visitors but the home side took control after the interval and sealed the points in the 78th minute. George crossed from the right and after Cunningham sent a shot goalwards J Chenery applied the final touch.


Debenham LC 3 Halstead 3

DEBENHAM staged an incredible comeback to snatch a point from this six-goal thriller against one of their promotion rivals.

Two goals down with just five minutes remaining, Stuart Jopling gave the Hornets hope with a neat turn and low strike, then with practically the last kick of the match Jopling was in the right place to force home John Farrell's corner and complete his hat-trick. Halstead had taken the lead through a Steve Daly header only for Jopling to send the teams in level at half time. Paul Abrahams put the visitors back in front and Daly looked to have settled matters with a brilliant overhead kick, but they had reckoned without Debenham's indomitable fighting spirit.

Long Melford 1 FC Clacton 3

FC CLACTON took a firm grip on this game after taking a seventh-minute lead when Waters bent a free-kick round the wall and into the top corner following a harsh award for handball.

It was no surprise when the visitors doubled their advantage when Pereira ran through to place the ball wide of the advancing Croll in the Melford goal after 29 minutes.

Melford were unlucky when a Skeggs piledriver hit the bar and Rulton saved Budgen's header from the rebound at the foot of a post and the ex-Melford keeper produced a diving save from Brind.

Urged on by new player-manager Chris Tracey in his first outing, Melford started to get into the game but they fell further behind after 67 minutes, Sean Hillier finishing from close range after Waters' low cross was not cleared.

Skeggs pulled a goal back, calmly placing the ball wide of Rulton from Walker's fine ball to the far post and just before the end Tracey was booked for protesting after substitute Statham appeared to be fouled by Gibson.

Whitton Utd 1 Ely City 1

FOR both teams this was a must-win match and the do-or-die attitude shown by the players of both side must be applauded.

The first chance fell to Whitton's Matt Cunningham who headed straight to keeper Lee Pacey, then Oliver Canfer had a long shot saved. Andy Pettit for the visitors had a close effort saved by Darren Moyes as was a long shot from Andy Chatters before he had a shot pushed over the bar by Moyes.

Ely went in front in first half injury time when a handball in their area by David Smith was missed and the ball was pumped up field for Ian Edge to bundle home at the far post. The second half was action-packed with Duane Wright and Leon Ottley-Gooch forcing fine saves from Pacey.

Whitton drew level when mis-judgment between the two centre backs and the keeper allowed Ottley-Gooch to nip around and chip the ball over Pacey after 68 minutes. Both teams battled hard all the way to the final whistle but were unable to break through.

March Town United 1 Stowmarket Town 1

STOWMARKET earned a point thanks to a deserved 88th-minute equaliser from Graham.

March had taken the lead after just 14 minutes when Hutchcraft lobbed over Charters.

The visitors should have equalised straight after the interval when the unmarked Ward put his header wide and then Pleasance was unlucky to see his shot strike the crossbar.

Bate shot across the face of the visitors' goal and Stowmarket made the most of the reprieve when Graham tapped home from Dellar's cross.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un