Non-league football round-up

PUBLISHED: 11:30 12 December 2007 | UPDATED: 13:49 04 March 2010

AFC Sudbury are through to the quarter-finals of the Isthmian League Cup thanks to an extra time winner at Redbridge last night. There were also Ryman League wins for Heybridge Swifts and Witham Town and away wins for Haverhill Rovers and Needham Market in the Ridgeons League Premier Division and Harwich Charity Cup respectively.

AFC Sudbury are through to the quarter-finals of the Isthmian League Cup thanks to an extra time winner at Redbridge last night. There were also Ryman League wins for Heybridge Swifts and Witham Town and away wins for Haverhill Rovers and Needham Market in the Ridgeons League Premier Division and Harwich Charity Cup respectively.


Redbridge 0 AFC Sudbury 1 (after extra time)

AFC SUDBURY won through to the quarter-final of the League Cup, but needed extra time to do so in a thoroughly entertaining open game at Redbridge last night.

Both sides had chances in the first half to have taken the lead, with Bacon being desperately unlucky for AFC when spotting keeper Tucker off his line he sent a superb lob from 30 yards over the keeper only to see it clip the post.

Bruce then missed a great chance for the home side, pulling his shot wide from six yards and was then equally unlucky when he got behind Stace only to see his shot rebound off the underside of the bar. Then Rowe saw his shot clip the inside of the Redbridge post. Only a brilliant reflex save by Munson kept out Hammond's stinging first time volley and then Tracey headed an in swinging free kick only as far as Collins and he also struck the post.

With the game in extra time it was AFC's substitute Stokes who won the game in the first minute when he met Rowe's cross to drive the ball home at the far post.


Heybridge 2 Maidstone United 1

SWIFTS laboured long and hard to grind out a deserved win; a brace from the effervescent Robbie King ensuring Swifts climb up the Ryman premier division table away from the relegation zone.

They began with the promise of good things to come, a long crossfield ball from Matthew Batt releasing the enthusiastic Mark Reddaway and his early cross into the unmarked Stafford Browne was claimed just in time by the Stones stand in keeper Lee Shearer.

Danny Barber's well placed corners were a threat for Swifts, and from one Browne hit over when well placed; at the other end Richard McKinney showed his safe handling skills to save from Lynden Rowland and then Steffan Gaissie after the latter had robbed Barber on the Swifts left hand side. Maidstone's Nick Hegley was then brought down in the Swifts penalty area by Ian Wiles who appeared to be struggling for fitness at times, and Rowland coolly slotted the spot kick past McKinney and rock the home supporters.

Robbie King put a free kick just wide of the upright and Gary Burrell's cross saw desperate appeals for handball in the visitors area waved away. Reddaway's impish presence earned a corner swung in by Barber that Shearer dropped on his goal line but no attacker could take advantage.

It became a desperate battle with quality from both sides in short supply, but Swifts gradually began to exert some dominance, Reddaway's run and shot from distance after Browne's intelligent through ball was saved by Shearer as Swifts began to show more belief. On the stroke of half-time a long range effort from King eluded Shearer to equalise for Swifts and the half-time tea tasted sweeter for the Swifts faithful.

King had another effort saved after the break, but Barber had to clear off the line, but in truth Maidstone rarely threatened in the second half, and Mckinney dealt comfortably with everything thrown at him. Reddaway continued to be a thorn in the side of the visitors defence with his work rate, and Burrell shot wide after a good interchange from Daryl Bourgeois into Tobi Janadu and then Browne as Swifts always looked the more likely to score but failed to really create a clear cut chance.

On 75 minutes King surged forward to score left footed from 20 yards, again Shearer in goal may have dealt better with the shot, but that was of no consequence to the celebrating Swifts side who for once had luck on their side. Sub Dave Wareham sent a superb ball to the near post that begged for a touch into the net, but Reddaway was unable to convert.

Three crucial points for Swifts that will hopefully instil some additional confidence and belief into the side for the tougher tests to come.


Witham Town 5 Ilford 2

THIS was certainly a game of two halves with Witham scoring all their goals in the first half but losing their way after the break when the visitors scored their two.

Kevin Hawes scored a hat-trick in the 12th 26th and 39th minutes with Jamie Ricks and Dave Morgan the other two. After the break, however, the visitors improved so much and Witham were forced to defend and when Jo May came on as substitute he scored in the 56th minute. Witham tried all their subs and Stone, the visiting keeper, made some good saves.

Julian Edwards scored their second goal after 87 minutes but in the 90th minute after a good friendly game Lee Woolten was red carded for the visitors.


Newmarket 0 Haverhill Rovers 1

HAVERHILL gained revenge for their Suffolk Premier Cup exit at Newmarket earlier in the season thanks to a second-half penalty.

Away goalkeeper Benstead kept out Mhishi and Bell in the first half, counterpart M Paynter stopping Goddard and Impey at the other end. The eventually winning goal came two minutes after the break, Gallagher hauling down Ben-Saud and travelling captain Hunt netting from the spot kick.

Newmarket's best hopes of an equaliser came from efforts by Watson, but he was unable to find the target and salvage a point for his side.


Woodbridge 1 Needham Market 5

NEEDHAM dominated long periods of this game, with Smith scoring a first-half hat-trick.

On five minutes keeper Garnham gifted Smith with his first goal, when he sliced a back pass straight to the forward, and with Snell's persistence to win the ball on 27 minutes, Smith scored his second. The forward completed his hat-trick when he shot low past Garnham after the home defence had failed to clear a corner. Needham continued to push forward in the second half, the post and the bar saved the home side until five minutes into the second half when Snell played an early ball for Thrower, who rounded the keeper to score the visitors' fourth.

Jennings, for the home side, lobbed the keeper, but the ball went wide as Woodbridge had few opportunities on goal. On 72 minutes the visitors scored a fifth when a surging run by Szyslyk led to him shooting across the keeper into the far corner of the net.

Woodbridge had a good spell towards the end of the game and scored a consolation when Severy's shot was parried by the keeper for Marsh to score from close range.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un