Non-league football round-up

PUBLISHED: 11:00 28 November 2007 | UPDATED: 13:49 04 March 2010

IT WAS a night of mixed results for clubs in Division One North of the Ryman League last night. AFC Sudbury were held 2-2 at Brentwood, Maldon Town won 2-1 at Potters Bar, Bury Town drew 2-2 at Edgware and Witham crashed 7-2 at Dartford.

IT WAS a night of mixed results for clubs in Division One North of the Ryman League last night. AFC Sudbury were held 2-2 at Brentwood, Maldon Town won 2-1 at Potters Bar, Bury Town drew 2-2 at Edgware and Witham crashed 7-2 at Dartford. Gorleston put out Lowestoft 5-4 on penalties after a 2-2 draw in the second round of the Ridgeons League Cup while Needham Market required extra time to defeat Diss.


Brentwood Town 2 AFC Sudbury 2

AFC SUDBURY'S hopes of going back to the top of the league were dashed last night when they had to settle for a point, which came after a spirited second-half comeback as they trailed by two first-half goals.

Brentwood had taken the lead in their first real attack when Thomas broke down the right, turned inside Tracey and drove a low shot past Neil.

It was almost two a minute later when a free-kick from Scotchmer was deflected off Thomas into Gillman and Neil had to make a tremendous reflex save.

Clements then provided a chance for Head but his 25-yard effort was just off-target.

Brentwood increased their lead when Thomas left Wardley in his wake to find Noble, his low shot easily beating Neil.

AFC equalised after 68 minutes when Stace was first to react to Boardley's inswinging corner and King could only help his downward header into the net.

Clements should then have equalised but shot hastily over before, in the first minute of injury time, Boardley took a free-kick from 20 yards out and his shot beat the defenders and the keeper, Palmer.

Dartford 7 Witham 2

WITHAM were atrocious from the start and the home team netted twice in the first six minutes, May and Cass the goalscorers.

However Witham did improve and the home keeper saved a shot from Ricks in the 32nd minute.

Then, just when it didn't look too bad for Witham, Hayes scored from the penalty spot in the 45th minute.

McClement scored a fourth for the home side just after the break but Witham rallied with two quick goals when Ricks guided the ball in and Kaan Hawes scored from the penalty spot.

However, late in the game Cass, McClement and Coyle scored for the home team to end a dreadful night for Witham Town.

Potters Bar 1 Maldon Town 2

IN THE wet conditions both teams played some good end-to-end football in the first half, with neither teams showing that final bite.

Then, in the 25th minute, Maldon's Matt Cutchey headed home a cross from Ross Parmenter.

Potters Bar started the second half with some good attacking football but they failed to capitalise on their good moves in front of goal until the 54th minute, when a shot by James Archer went underneath the body of Darren Gould in the Maldon goal.

Maldon stepped up a gear and in the 63rd minute Steve Wareham was put through and placed the ball past the advancing keeper.

Yet again, Maldon allowed Potters Bar to come at them and put the Maldon defence under pressure for the last 15 minutes, but the visitors held out.

Edgware 2 Bury Town 2

EDGWARE took the lead on four minutes when Bury failed to clear and Jonny Moore fired past Greygoose.

Gavin Johnson's long-range shot came back off a post, with the keeper beaten before a fine run from Sam Reed ended with Stuart Walker equaliser after 24 minutes.

Edgware took the lead again on the hour when Adam Wallace headed home from a right-wing cross.

Bury grabbed an equaliser in the fourth minute of stoppage time when substitute Steve Bugg shot home off the far post.


Needham Market 4 Diss 2 (after extra time)

TWO extra-time goals from Craig Parker and Tom Smith denied Diss, who had put up a gallant effort.

Diss struck first on 11 minutes when Gavin Norman volleyed in from an angle. Tom Smith levelled the scores and it looked like Ben Deacon had sealed the win for Diss with only minutes remaining.

But a disputed penalty by Ben Cranfield forced extra time and Diss went out.

Gorleston 2 Lowestoft 2 (after extra time: Gorleston won 5-4 on pens)

GORLESTON produced a terrific display to hold Lowestoft throughout extra time before knocking the cup-holders out on penalties.

A shot from Godbold was saved by Marsden, but McKenna slotted home the rebound. Six minutes from time Todd was upended in the box by Carl Poppy and Dale Cockrill beat keeper Reynolds from the penalty spot. In the first period of extra time Gorleston's Matty Bowles saw his shot strike the inside of the post and go in but while the Greens were still celebrating Russell Stock equalised again for Lowestoft

There were no more goals so it went to penalties and Gorleston pulled off an upset by winning 5-4, with Garry Todd getting the winning spot kick.

Mildenhall 1 Haverhill 5

NINE minutes before the break Ben-Saud's shot was saved by Nower but Mark Abbott fired home the rebound.

Heller increased the lead three minutes later when he broke free to fire past Nower and right on the break Mildenhall pulled a goal back when Hammond headed home from a corner.

At the restart Heller put the visitors further ahead when his shot took a deflection over Nower. He further increased the lead as he broke clear to make it 4-1 with 15 minutes left to complete his hat-trick.

Goddard scored directly from a free kick in the final minute to complete a comprehensive victory.

Ipswich Wanderers 2 Felixstowe & Walton 6

THIS local cup derby had plenty of bragging rights to play for, many players having turned out for both clubs and Wanderers manager Buckle facing his old side for the first time since moving clubs.

Phillips gave Felixstowe an early lead and Frost's 25-yard free kick on 17 minutes deflected off the wall into the path of Goddard, whose fierce shot made it 2-0.

Buckle's pinpoint cross found Scopes at the far post and he rose above the defence to head home emphatically and Phillips completed the first-half scoring with No. 4.

Pugh ran to the by-line and squared for Driver to back-heel into the net to pull one back for Wanderers, but Edwards restored Felixstowe's four-goal advantage.

Wanderers got another goal back in almost a replica of the first with Pugh's cross being met at the near post by Carnell, who flicked the ball under the keeper.

Frost's free kick was met unopposed by the head of Bell to wrap up the scoring.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un