Non-league football round-up

PUBLISHED: 12:30 26 November 2007 | UPDATED: 13:49 04 March 2010

BRAINTREE Town eased into the first round of the FA Trophy thanks to a comfortable 4-1 win at Gosport Borough on Saturday, but despite putting up a brave fight Witham Town went down 4-2 to Hayes and Yeading.

BRAINTREE Town eased into the first round of the FA Trophy thanks to a comfortable 4-1 win at Gosport Borough on Saturday, but despite putting up a brave fight Witham Town went down 4-2 to Hayes and Yeading. Ridgeons League Premier Division leaders Needham Market were held to a 1-1 draw at Lowestoft Town while Kirkley & Pakesfield upset Soham with a 3-2 win.


Gosport Borough 1 Braintree Town 4

BRAINTREE eased into the first round of the FA Trophy with a comprehensive victory over Gosport Borough in Hampshire.

The Iron were in charge from the off and, after chances for Burgess and Archer were spurned, James Hawes fired Braintree ahead after 20 minutes with a volley from 12 yards following Sullivan's cross.

Braintree extended their lead five minutes before the break when a fine run by Sullivan saw him burst through a static Gosport rearguard and unleash a shot that Brown blocked into his path again for a second opportunity to pass into an empty net.

Braintree continued to dominate after the break but missed a penalty after the hour when Sullivan was brought down by Kevin Gill in the box and Liam Bailey crashed his spot-kick against the bar.

Gosport then gave themselves a lifeline when a David Birmingham free-kick was turned into his own net by Iron captain Ian Cousins.

The Iron made sure of victory in the final 10 minutes when Sullivan scored his second after picking up a rebound and man-of-the-match Robbie Martin made it 4-1 with a solo effort.

Hayes & Yeading 4 Witham Town 2

WITHAM put up a brave fight against a Hayes & Yeading side competing two steps above them in the league pyramid.

The Essex visitors started well, but it was the home side who took the lead when, after a series of corners, Witham failed to clear the ball and Scott scored with a shot through a crowded goal mouth.

The game was put beyond Witham with two goals in two minutes just before half time.

In the 44th minute, Marwa scored with a shot from the area and then Scott scored a third with a header following a corner.

Three minutes after half-time Witham pulled one back when McDonald headed in a perfect free-kick from Kaan Hawes.

Although Witham tried hard to get back into the game, more brave saves by keeper Daley kept the home side from scoring.

Towards the end of the game a header from Morgan hit the crossbar, as did a shot from Ricks, but the result was put beyond doubt when Mully scored a fourth in the 89th minute.

In injury time Ricks scored the goal he deserved from close range for a Witham consolation.


Staines Town 2 Chelmsford City 2

TEN-MAN Chelmsford City rained on Staines Town's FA Cup honeymoon with a late equaliser to keep themselves at the top of the Ryman League Premier Division.

An impressive attendance of 717, bolstered by a sizeable away following, were present after Staines' FA Cup heroics on Thursday night when they dumped Coca-Cola League Two club Stockport County out on penalties.

The hosts took the lead after 25 minutes when tricky wide man Howard Newton forced Andy Duncan into a crude foul in the box and Lewis Cook scored from the spot.

City pulled themselves level after 58 minutes when Berquez was on hand to half-volley stylishly home from the edge of the area for his first goal since returning to the club.

Staines were showing no signs of fatigue after their midweek exertions and they retook the league when Lee Protheroe fouled in the box, subsequently receiving his second booking, and Victor Asombang tucked away the penalty.

The lead was even more short-lived on this occasion as Ricky Holmes charged in from the wing to rob an opponent of the ball and take it around replacement goalkeeper James Courtnage to tap in an 84th-minute equaliser into the net.

n Chelmsford City's rearranged league match against Carshalton Athletic tonight has been postponed for a second time after their opponents draw in the FA Trophy on Saturday.

Ramsgate 2 Heybridge Swifts 1

HEYBRIDGE Swifts are back in the bottom three following a narrow defeat at high-flying Ramsgate.

Swifts were 2-0 down after 15 minutes, but battled back well in the second half after switching to three at the back.

A Sean Marks goal reduced the deficit but, despite their best endeavours and a majority of possession, an equaliser could not be found.


Ilford 1 Wivenhoe Town 0

WIVENHOE were once again left ruing a lack of goals as they slipped to their 15th league defeat of the season.

Wivenhoe dominated the first half with new signing Danny Stanley and loanee Jamie Eames looking impressive and Ben Lawson hitting a post.

However, at the start of the second half, Wivenhoe once again shot themselves in the foot when a free-kick was spilled by the goalkeeper and Ilford scored the only goal of the game with a simple tap-in.

Maldon Town 2 Waltham Forest 1

A GOAL in each half saw Maldon Town beat Waltham Forest on Saturday.

Maldon took a deserved lead after 33 minutes when a Dean Parrott free-kick found an unmarked Steve Wareham. He had the time to place his header beyond the hands of Jason Willis. Maldon should have made the game safe after 40 minutes when the ball was put through to Paul Shave but, with an empty goal at his mercy, he could only hit a post.

The second half saw Waltham Forest equalise against the run of play when a needless penalty was conceded and Stuart Houghton made no mistake from the spot after 68 minutes.

Within a minute Maldon were back in front when Steve Wareham was again on hand to head past the Stags keeper after a good move by the Maldon team.

Dartford 1 Bury Town 2

DESPITE finishing the game with 10 men, Bury came from behind to beat Dartford.

The hosts took the lead after just five minutes when second-place Dartford's Brendon Cass rose unchallanged to head home at the far post.

This spurred Bury into action and, after they had a period of good possession, the Suffolk side got a deserved equaliser when Sam Reed got on the end of Lee Reed's cross to head home past Kessell.

Dartford then came back strongly as Cass saw his fierce dipping drive rebound from the bar.

Chances were created at both ends as the second half opened brightly and Bury took the lead after 54 minutes when a cross from Lee Reed wasn't cleared and Sam Reed was again on hand to score.

Bury were reduced to 10 men after 78 minutes when Michael Steward was dismissed for a second bookable offence, but with keeper Dean Greygoose in fine form and defenders Tom Bullard and Sam Nunn outstanding, Bury held on for a hard-fought victory that takes them back into the play-off positions.


Lowestoft Town 1 Needham Market 1

AFTER a week of successful cup exploits, Lowestoft Town secured a good point against league leaders Needham Market on Saturday.

Town enjoyed a good early spell of pressure, but the visitors' dogged defending meant a clear sight of goal never materialised before Lowestoft were made to pay in the 28th minute.

Danny Thrower's high cross caused a mix-up between Reynolds and Matty Potter on the edge of the six-yard box, giving Craig Parker the simple task of nodding home into an empty net.

Russell Stock and Richard Woodrow saw half-chances go begging as the home side kept plugging away, but Lowestoft were rewarded for their efforts on the stroke of half time when Ally McKenna rose highest to head home Woodrow's in-swinging corner.

The second half saw a flicked McKenna header brilliantly saved by Liam Jones, while Parker was denied by a tremendous Reynolds save with half an hour left.

With the play becoming increasingly open, Thrower saw a shot deflected inches past the left-hand post, while Reynolds produced another wonder save to tip a James Evans drive from long range over the crossbar.

Newmarket Town 1 Woodbridge Town 4

TWO sublime goals by Luke Read set Woodbridge on their way to a comfortable victory at bottom-of-the-table Newmarket.

Woodbridge, who had former Ipswich Town defender Gerard Nash making his debut at centre-back, had been the better side in the opening period but had failed to convert their superiority into goals.

However, all that changed straight after the restart when Read pounced on a poor clearance and found the net from 35 yards with keeper Matthew Paynter way out of his goal.

Read then superbly flicked home the second in the 55th minute after exchanging passes with Paul Berry, before the 17-year-old passed up the chance of a hat-trick when he shot wide from the penalty spot after Lee O'Neill had been fouled.

Berry's surging run from half-way saw the ball break to Jon Bickers, who slid home the third in the 71st minute, and the same combination saw Bickers tap home at the far post after Berry had been set free down the left by Ben Garnham with five minutes remaining.

Read then hit the underside of the bar and tried to walk a one-on-one into the net, while Bickers headed wide of an open goal to spare Newmarket from further embarrassment.

Newmarket netted a consolation when Owen Paynter scored with virtually the last kick of the match.

Haverhill Rovers 2 Leiston 1

A LATE own goal proved to be the winner for the hosts as Leiston went down to their fourth consecutive league defeat.

A goal-less first half was followed by Jamie Thurlbourne giving the home side the lead 13 minutes after the restart, his 20-yard free kick being helped on into the net by a full stretch Jamie Stannard.

The lead lasted until the 76th minute when Blake Saker was given time to run at the Haverhill defence before firing a 25-yard effort into the left hand side of the goal past keeper Arron Benstead.

The winner came off the boot of visiting defender Adam Goddard, home substitute Richard Heller volleying the ball across goal from the left of the area and, with the ball going wide, Goddard unfortunately slid in to put the ball into the bottom left corner past the stationary Stannard.

Soham Town Rangers 2 Kirkley & Pakefield 3

KIRKLEY & Pakefield inflicted only the second league defeat of the season on Soham Town Rangers.

The league's second-placed side went in front after five minutes when Marc Libam connected with a low cross. However Paul Highfield soon equalised with a header from a corner.

Keeper Nathan Pauling kept the visitors in the match with three outstanding saves either side of half time, before a brace of goals by Jordan Blyth, the first an unstoppable 25 yarder, put Kirkley in the driving seat.

A late flourish by Soham saw Stuart Williams net after 88 minutes, but it proved too late against an on-song Kirkley team.

Felixstowe & Walton Utd 2 Wisbech 0

AFTER seeing their six-match unbeaten run end last weekend, Felixstowe & Walton bounced back with their second win in four days on Saturday.

Joe Bloomfield kept Wisbech level in the 14th minute when clearing off the line from Gosling.

Having looked below par in the opening half-hour, the home side produced the opening goal in the 33rd minute when Danny Phillips collected Bloomfield's through ball and cleverly turned inside the area to fire across Kilby into the bottom corner.

Phillips then added the second just after the hour, stabbing the ball home at the far post after Bell had helped on Frost's corner.

Phillips was denied his hat-trick 10 minutes from time when he saw his header turned onto the bar and away to safety by Kilby as Felixstowe controlled the play.

Ipswich Wanderers 1 Mildenhall 3

IPSWICH Wanderers remain at the foot of the table following defeat to Mildenhall.

Claydon opened the scoring for Mildenhall after 18 minutes when poor Wanderers defending left him on his own to head home from the six yard line.

The match was levelled when Allen's poor corner was struck sweetly by Wright into the top corner from the edge of the area after 27 minutes.

Mildenhall regained the lead after 40 minutes when a free kick from Blois took a deflection and wrong-footed Hammond.

Mildenhall increased their lead after 72 minutes when Claydon stabbed home from close range in a crowded six yard box after the ball had been cleared off the line twice before.


Halstead 0 Godmanchester 1

A DOMINANT Halstead side were defeated by a plucky Godmanchester on Saturday.

The only goal of the game came when Godmanchester's Jon Brierley curled home a 14th minute free kick. That strike proved to be enough for the three points as Halstead registered a blank for the first time in 16 matches.

Halstead dominated, particularly after the break, as Chris Bryan hit the woodwork and had a strong penalty appeal waved away.

The Essex side's cause was not helped with 10 minutes left when Bryan was dismissed for two bookings, but ultimately they will look back on the opening 10 minutes when Phil Battell, Danny Rowell and Steve Daly all missed good chances.

Tiptree United 1 March Town Utd 0

TIPTREE United were made to work hard for their latest win by March Town United.

Making his debut for the Tiptree side was former West Bromwich Albion Academy player Rhys Darg who headed a Luke Webster free-kick just inches wide early on.

The only goal of the game came in the fifth minute when Tom English ran onto keeper Darren Smith's long clearance to volley a shot into the top right-hand corner.

March enjoyed a fair share of possession but were way off target in the final third, Ash Spendelow spurning their best chance late in the game by firing well wide.

At the other end, Hares keeper Lee Brooke can take some credit in containing the score to a single goal as he made some very good saves to keep out efforts from Tommy Noble, Gino Defeo and English.


Ipswich Athletic 0 Whitton Utd 5

RIDGEONS Division One side Whitton United overran SIL side Ipswich Athletic in the first half to secure a place in the quarter-finals of the Suffolk Senior Cup.

The visitors took the lead after 15 minutes when Wright had time to float the ball behind the home defence for Gavin Crane to cushion a volley over the keeper from an angle.

Darren Mills poked the ball in after 22 minutes to increase the lead having played a one-two with Crane.

Three minutes later Mills doubled his tally when, after the home side gave the ball away, he lobbed the keeper from the edge of the area.

Hyde was on hand to clear when Athletic's Selby brought a partial save from Moyes. However it was the visitors who increased their lead after 43 minutes when Crane latched onto a through ball from Ottley-Gooch to put Whitton in the driving seat.

The home side improved after the break as Selby and Tournay-Godfrey had good chances, however it was Whitton substitute Sam Banya who lobbed the keeper to secure a comfortable victory.

Debenham LC 1 Brantham Athletic 2

BRANTHAM moved into the quarter-finals with a surprise but deserved victory at Ridgeons Division One promotion challengers Debenham LC.

The home side were dealt a blow when Ian Gedny went off injured after 12 minutes and their problems were further compounded as Debenham-registered Jon Jorgensen put the visitors ahead.

Patrick Brothers doubled the advantage just before the interval, but there was still time for Stuart Jopling to pull a goal back at the end of the half.

In the second period the Hornets' approach play was stifled by the strong wind and the closest they came to an equaliser was Garry Pratt's overhead kick which forced a fine save from Ryan Beddingfield.

Hadleigh 7 Coplestonians 2

HADLEIGH qualified for the next round with a convincing win against a gallant Coplestonians side.

Five first half goals were a true reflection of Hadleigh's domination, with Craig Payne netting a hat-trick and Rose and Dennett also scoring.

In the second half Leighton-Smythe scored for the visitors, while Welton netted Hadleigh's sixth. Turner reduced the deficit, only for the luckless Nicholson to score an own goal to complete the scoring.

Long Melford 1 Felixstowe United 0

LONG Melford narrowly came on top in this dire lunchtime match.

In the only real incident of the first half Daw was bought down in full flight by McKinnon, earning him a caution, but Melford wasted the free-kick.

Felixstowe made a bright start to the second half and twice tested keeper Croll.

However Melford eventually got their game together and scored after 76 minutes when Alder rose to head home Walker's free kick.

Leiston St Margarets 3 Hundon 2

LEISTON St Margarets beat Kershaw Premier League leaders Hundon by the odd goal in five on Saturday.

The hosts took the lead when Jennings thrashed the ball into the net. Then, from a Havers cross, the ball was knocked into his own net by defender Dourado for Saints' second.

The score was 3-0 at half time when, following a great run down the right by Pemberton, the ball was pulled back to Jennings to put the ball into the net.

Hundon mounted a comeback after the break when Clerkin drove the ball into the net. Leiston won a penalty late on, but Pemberton's shot was saved by Liam Cutts in goal, then, right on full time, Smith fired home from 18 yards to make the final score 3-2.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists