Non-league football round-up

PUBLISHED: 11:00 19 November 2007 | UPDATED: 13:49 04 March 2010

THERE was success for several of the region's sides in the second round of the FA Vase on Saturday while Braintree continue their surge up the Blue Square South table, Chelmsford City remain three points clear at the top of the Ryman League Premier Division and two late goals maintained AFC Sudbury's title challenge in Ryman League Division One North.

THERE was success for several of the region's sides in the second round of the FA Vase on Saturday while Braintree continue their surge up the Blue Square South table, Chelmsford City remain three points clear at the top of the Ryman League Premier Division and two late goals maintained AFC Sudbury's title challenge in Ryman League Division One North.


Braintree Town 3 Bognor Regis Town 2

BRAINTREE Town came from behind to beat Bognor Regis Town on Saturday and continue their surge up the table into eighth.

The Iron dominated the opening half an hour and after, Riddle, Sullivan and Martin all spurned clear-cut chances, Sullivan crossed for Robbie Martin to open the scoring from 12 yards out.

Moments later, the visitors pulled level through Alex Haddow's stunning free-kick and, just moments after the equaliser, Bognor went ahead when a long ball out of defence put Haddow away to score again.

Braintree piled forward after the break but found Bognor keeper Graig Stoner in outstanding form.

However, the in-form shot stopper was helpless to prevent Sullivan bringing Braintree level after an hour with a firm strike from a Louis Riddle cross.

Braintree pushed forward sensing victory and the winner duly arrived after 83 minutes courtesy of Leon Archer, skipping past the Bognor rearguard to fire in his third goal in three matches, all coming from the substitutes' bench.


Chelmsford City 2 Folkestone Invicta 0

CHELMSFORD City remain three points clear at the top of the table following yet another fine home win.

The hosts took the lead after 12 minutes when Stuart Ainsley's corner was headed powerfully home by Andy Duncan at the near post.

The Essex side had plenty of opportunities to extend their lead as Ollie Berquez drove into the side netting before seeing a header tipped over by Charlie Mitten.

Chelmsford had to wait until the 56th minute to make the game safe though, young striker James Lawson scoring an exquisite second.

Dragging the ball back onto his left foot 20 yards from goal, Lawson quickly took aim and curled the ball into the small gap inside the far top corner with pinpoint accuracy.

The only downside to this game for Chelmsford was Ainsley picking up his fifth booking of the campaign, meaning he will be suspended for the crucial away clash at AFC Wimbledon.

Heybridge Swifts 0 Leyton 0

HEYBRIDGE Swifts missed out on the opportunity to leapfrog their opponents Leyton and move off the foot of the table with this scoreless draw.

After a nervous opening by both sides, new Swifts keeper Richard McKinney was well positioned to save Tobi Oshitola's effort.

Heybridge's best chance came after the break, Stafford Browne's header across goal grazing the bar following Dave Wareham's run and cross.

The host were then reduced to 10 men when McKinney was dismissed for bringing Oshitola down as he went past the big keeper just outside the penalty area.

Swifts defended well against the extra man until the end, however the final whistle was marred by an unseemly melee after an off-the-ball incident.


Waltham Abbey 0 AFC Sudbury 2

TWO goals in the last five minutes kept up AFC Sudbury's challenge at the top of the league.

Despite dominating the game throughout, Sudbury struggled on a very uneven playing surface and had only a close header from Heath to show for their early dominance.

Hickman saved shots from Clements and Boardley at the start of the second half before AFC Sudbury debutant keeper Neil was forced to make his first save of the match after 70 minutes.

Both Bacon and Heath missed gilt-edged chances from close range before substitute Head combined with Heath for the latter to cross for Boardley to slam a first-time shot past Hickman.

In the last minute, Head again provided the pass that saw Rowe turn inside the penalty area and beat Hickman with a well-placed low shot.

Brentwood Town 0 Witham Town 4

IN-FORM Witham Town became only the third team to inflict defeat on Brentwood Town this season as Cody McDonald scored a second half hat-trick.

Despite a convincing winning margin though, Witham rode their luck at times as Brentwood twice hit the post, while keeper Paul Davey had to make some crucial saves.

At the other end, though, Witham were clinical, the visitors taking the lead when a McDonald cross allowed Kaan Hawes to slot home in off the post.

McDonald's first goal came in the 56th minute when he took on the home defence before shooting under Palmer.

His second came courtesy of a majestic volley in the 68th minute, while his hat-trick was completed in style in the last minute when a tremendous free-kick from outside the area hit the underside of the bar and bounced down over the line with terrific force.

Ware 4 Maldon Town 2

MALDON Town were made to pay for the controversial sending off of keeper Darren Gould at Ware.

The visitors controlled the opening exchanges and duly went ahead after six minutes when James Robinson's cross from the left was volleyed in by Ross Parmenter.

Ware equalised against the run of play minutes later when a shot by Chris Ellerbeck was deflected past the stranded Gould. However, a dominant Maldon regained the lead when Frankie Everitt headed home Parmenter's corner after 26 minutes.

The turning point came in first- half stoppage time when Gould was dismissed, having been adjudged to have fouled a Ware striker when coming out to chest the ball away.

The second half saw Ollie Blackwell between the sticks and, although Maldon had further chances to increase their lead, Ware equalised after 63 minutes when Scott Nielson scored from close range following a goalmouth melee.

Maldon continued to move forward and twice were caught out when both Joe Stevens and Chris Ellerbeck scored from breakaway attacks.

Bury Town 2 Ilford 2

BURY TOWN took a share of the spoils against Ilford on Saturday thanks to a stoppage-time equaliser from Steve Bugg.

From the first whistle the hosts attacked and duly took the lead in the 21st minute when, after a spell of sustained pressure, Lee Smith volleyed home from the edge of the box.

Bury were made to pay for not increasing their lead when, in the 37th minute, Homa Ashman got clear down the Bury left and slotted home past Dean Greygooose.

Lee Reed's header came back off a post after the break, but Ilford, having seen one penalty turned down, were awarded a spot kick when Carl Murkin was adjudged to have tripped Richard Simpson. Bury were reprieved though when Moses Jjunju shot wide.

Ilford took the lead after 80 minutes when, following a needless foul on the edge of the box, Kasey Ashman floated his free kick over the wall and into the top corner.

This prompted Bury into attacking mode and, after numerous near misses, they finally got their reward in the second minute of stoppage time when substitute Bugg rose to head home.

Wivenhoe Town 1 Great Wakering Rovers 2

DESPITE the change of personnel under new manager Richard Carter, Wivenhoe slipped to yet another defeat on Saturday.

Despite being reduced to 10 men after just 20 minutes, Rovers were stronger in the first period as Butterworth hit the post.

The visitors took the lead in the 58th minute when Butterworth took advantage of a quick clearance and ran from halfway to round the keeper for a fine individual effort.

Fisher equalised nine minutes later as he shot through a crowd of players. However, parity lasted only two minutes as Cartlidge scored after the ball came back off a defender and bounced in off his shins.


Mildenhall Town 2 Wroxham 1

MILDENHALL said farewell to manager Trevor Munns in the best possible way with a victory against reigning Ridgeons League champions Wroxham in the FA Vase.

The hosts took the lead after five minutes when Robinson let fly from 25 yards and Woodcock failed to hold the ball, helping it into his own net.

Both sides had chances to score with Lemmon, Key and Gilmour for Wroxham and Miles and Inman for the home side testing the respective keepers.

Wroxham's Key laid on a perfect pass for White to equalise five minutes before the break, but the home side came out revitalised in the second half and after a period of pressure they deservedly took the lead again with 10 minutes to go with a goal worthy of winning any match.

From a corner to the far post, Taylor lobbed it back to the other post, Woodcock clawed it away, only for Flack to meet it at pace and fire an unstoppable shot past the keeper.

Wembley 2 Woodbridge Town 2 (after extra time)

WOODBRIDGE twice came from behind to keep alive their interest in this season's competition.

Glenn Read's first game in charge got off to an inauspicious start, Shane Sinclair's volley dipping into the far corner of the net after just three minutes with Marcus Garnham rooted to the spot.

That was the only shot either side managed to get on target in a disappointing opening period, but the match came to life in the second half.

Six minutes after coming on as a substitute, Tony Boto levelled for the Woodpeckers in the 79th minute after Marc Talbot failed to gather Aaron Churchyard's through ball.

Jumo Mitchell looked to have broken Woodbridge's resolve when he swept home in the 86th minute, but Lee O'Neill, who had earlier missed the visitors' best opportunity when he shot straight at the keeper, reached the byline and Luke Read set up Churchyard to turn home a last-gasp equaliser.

Both sides had chances in extra time but a draw was a fair result with the replay at Notcutts Park tomorrow night.

Leiston 2 St Ives Town 3

LEISTON were unlucky not to secure a replay against St Ives following a hard-working and committed performance.

The Suffolk side opening the scoring when striker Brothers, chasing down a seemingly lost cause, saw Mackney's attempted clearance rebound off him and into the net.

The visitors drew level after 15 minutes when Kennett crossed for Thackery to send a looping header over Stannard, and a loose ball was emphatically fired in by Kennett from distance after 24 minutes.

The tie was still evenly poised and, with Leiston exerting pressure for an equaliser, the visitors stole a third just after the hour from a Fordham free kick. A late header from Brothers from Stanley's free kick proved too late.

Needham Market 4 Eton Manor 1

NEEDHAM Market cruised into the next round of the FA Vase with a convincing win over Essex Senior League side Eton Manor.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men after 21 minutes when goalkeeper Andy Hallraced collided with Danny Thrower and the referee controversially showed a red card.

Soon afterwards, Needham took the lead when Cranfield put James Evans away to easily score.

Eton Manor, who had already hit the bar, equalised when Neil Bennett beat Jones, however Needham regained the lead near half time through Craig Parker.

Stephenson missed a sitter for Eton Manor after the break, before Evans crossed for Craig Parker to make it 3-1.

Richard Butler headed in Evans' corner for goal No. 4, before Eton Manor finished the game with nine men when Anton Stephenson received his second yellow card.

Lowestoft 1 Desborough 0

LOWESTOFT Town produced a minor upset in the FA Vase to beat their Northamptonshire counterparts Desborough Town.

The visitors began much stronger in the opening period, Anthony Page seeing a spectacular effort ruled out for offside.

Lowestoft came racing out of the blocks in the second half, Bradley Hough missing by inches after beating his man before firing in a low shot.

Six minutes into the second period, the Blues made the breakthrough when Hough galloped 20 yards down the right flank and his low cross was turned into his own net by David Donativo.

Home keeper Adam Rix then produced three fine saves to keep Desborough at bay, the third being the pick of the bunch to deny Page low down to his right with a superb reflex stop.

Royston 0 Ipswich Wanderers 2

TWO SECOND-half goals were enough to put Ipswich Wanderers into the next round of the FA Vase.

Royston, who enjoyed the better of an action-packed yet goal-less first half, had the ball in the net straight away in the second half only for it to be ruled out for offside.

Wanderers took the lead after an hour when Driver scored from the spot.

The lead was doubled when Allen ended a great run into the left-hand side of the area and then rifled home.


Dereham Town 2 Haverhill 1

DEREHAM recorded their first win in five games to send Haverhill to their first defeat in seven.

After Haverhill's Martin Westcott and Dereham's Robbie Harris both had efforts cleared off the line at either end, Harris put the hosts ahead in the 36th minute with a curling shot from the edge of the area.

Away goalkeeper Arron Benstead came to his side's rescue in the second half, making a string of saves, before he was eventually beaten after 75 minutes when Craig Terrington's ball in was diverted into his own net by Adam Ben-Saud.

Haverhill pulled one back in the 80th minute when Marcus Hunt headed the ball past Wayne Goddard, but Dereham held on for the win in a tense finish.

Norwich Utd 2 Felixstowe & Walton Utd 0

THE hosts produced the first decisive strike in the 16th minute when Hayton met Fulcher's cross to head firmly past Cudworth.

Norwich United extended their lead in the 34th minute through Francis, who stabbed the ball home in a packed goalmouth after Cudworth failed to hold Page's cross. The visitors' best second-half chance came in the 57th minute when Frost headed Mills' cross against the Norwich bar.

Harwich & Parkeston 2 Kirkley & Pakefield 1

KIRKLEY & Pakefield were left ruing a number of missed chances as Harwich & Parkeston came from behind to win on Saturday.

In the 25th minute Nathan Stone turned his marker on the edge of the area to slide home the opener.

Kirkley then laid siege to the Harwich area and it was only thanks to keeper Wootten that the Harwich deficit stayed at a single goal. After the break Harwich started to create more with the introduction of Carmichael and Byrne and, with only minutes remaining, Tony Chatters' dinked shot from outside the box took a deflection off Calver and slipped past Pauling in the Kirkley goal.

From the restart Underwood was upended and Calver dispatched the spot kick.

In the two minutes of added time, Kirkley's Stone rattled the crossbar from point-blank range.


Hadleigh Utd 1 Stowmarket Town 3

STOWMARKET came out on top in this well-attended local derby.

Hadleigh had the better of the early play, but Stowmarket broke the deadlock after 41 minutes when a free kick from Ward was flicked on by King for Leys to volley home.

Leys increased the lead after 72 minutes by converting a rebound ball from keeper Whitwell before, three minutes later, a well-placed lob by Taylor-Holt made in 3-0.

Minutes later Myhill scored for Hadleigh and, with time running out, Charters made a great save from Rose.

Ely City 2 Long Melford 1

LONG Melford battled to the end before being defeated by Ely City.

The hosts took the lead after 33 minutes when Alder brought down Warren in the box and Kirby scored from the spot.

Early in the second half Melford's Haywood was sent off for handling on the goal line, but Kirby's spot kick hit an upright.

Melford defended resolutely, but Ely eventually netted a second when Deech knocked home a long throw. Melford never threw in the towel and just before the end Skeggs scored from 25 yards.

FC Clacton 3 Cornard United 1

A DETERMINED Clacton side eventually claimed the goals their performance had deserved late in the second half.

The Essex side spent the whole of the first half camped in the Cornard half but poor finishing meant there was no score.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 69th minute when, following a mass goalmouth scramble, Gareth Gibson scored for Clacton.

The visitors then scored a shock equaliser when Steve Sprunt headed home a free kick from the left. However, Clacton were soon back in front when Gibson slammed home.

The result was sealed when the referee allowed play on after Mark White was hauled down by the last defender and Waters rounded Athey to fire into the empty net.

Halstead Town 1 Whitton Utd 1

DEFENDER Phil Battell's first goal for the club gave Halstead a point against high-flying Whitton.

With no less than 12 absentees through injuries and suspensions, Halstead faced a Whitton team containing no less than three of their former players in Darren Moyes, Kevin Inglis and Simon Betts.

The Suffolk visitors bossed the opening exchanges, but it was Halstead who passed up a golden opportunity to break the deadlock near half-time when Abrahams had a penalty kick saved by Moyse.

Whitton resumed the second half in the ascendancy and, after using all three subs, they finally made the breakthrough after 78 minutes when Inglis volleyed a left-foot drive just inside the near post.

The visitors then embarked on numerous attempts to run the clock down, but were made to pay the price when, with all the Halstead side in the box, including keeper Woods, for a corner, an almighty scramble in the goalmouth ended when Battell blasted home from close range.

Gorleston 3 Tiptree Utd 1

TIPTREE United's lead at the top of the table was cut to just goal difference following only their third defeat of the season at Gorelston.

An injury and illness-hit Jam Makers side found themselves on the back foot in the early stages but Gorleston had to wait until the 41st minute for Gary Todd to put the home side ahead.

Tiptree were back on terms in first half stoppage time when Ian Nimmo was brought down from behind in the box and Tom English converted the spot-kick.

Disjointed Tiptree had the best of the play in the second half, but it was Gorleston who showed the way to goal when Lee Hunter's free-kick rebounded off the woodwork and Bell was quickest to react.

The third goal came in the 70th minute when Judd Coe failed to get up to clear a long through ball, leaving Hunter to run well clear to easily beat Smith from close range.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un