Non-league football round-up

PUBLISHED: 12:00 29 October 2007 | UPDATED: 10:59 04 March 2010

BRAINTREE Town made it seven points out of nine in Blue Square South on Saturday, while in the Ridgeons League Premier Division Ipswich Wanderers and Woodbridge were on the receiving end of heavy defeats.

BRAINTREE Town made it seven points out of nine in Blue Square South on Saturday, while in the Ridgeons League Premier Division Ipswich Wanderers and Woodbridge were on the receiving end of heavy defeats.


Braintree Town 1 Dorchester 0

LEE Patterson watched from the stands as his new side beat Dorchester Town on Saturday.

The former East Thurrock United manager will take over from caretakers Tom Marshall and Brad Quinton, who have helped the Iron to seven points from their three games in charge.

Braintree were slow to start and could have been two goals down inside the first 15 minutes as Steve Good cleared when Mark Robinson burst through and Ian Cousins cleared from Jones Awuah.

Braintree's best chance of the half fell to Sullivan when his solo run ended with Dorchester keeper Behcet getting down well to save his shot.

The Iron dominated after the break but they found Behcet in fine form, the keeper saving from James Hawes, Sullivan and Riddle.

Braintree finally broke the deadlock with just 15 minutes left when Riddle latched onto a through ball from Mark Jones to round the keeper and score.


Ramsgate 2 Chelmsford City 0

CHELMSFORD City remain top of the table despite slipping to their third away league defeat of the season at Ramsgate.

The hosts' early pressure paid off in the 26th minute when Gay fumbled a trade-mark Ramsgate long throw-in and Vahid hooked into the net from 18 yards.

Cith responded as Bertie Brayley saw an effort thwarted, while the hosts also survived a penalty appeal for handball in the box.

After the interval the Clarets continued to struggle and the Rams doubled their advantage after 64 minutes when an unmarked Ollie Schulz headed home a free-kick.

Within three minutes the Clarets had the perfect opportunity to reduce the arrears when Brayley earned a penalty. However Jeff Minton's shot down the middle was turned away.

Heybridge Swifts 3 Margate 3

IAN Wiles scored a stunning late equaliser as Heybridge Swifts twice came from behind to earn a point against Margate Town.

After Sean Marks had seen an early effort disallowed, the hosts fell behind when a free-kick was not cleared and Daniel Young swivelled in the penalty area to score.

Swifts responded strongly and Marks climbed well to head home a well-struck near-post free-kick from Pond.

The Essex side then went ahead as Danny Gabriel was brought down in the penalty area and the increasingly influential Stafford Browne fired the penalty into the roof of the net.

Swifts dominated after the interval, Gabriel hitting a post and Marks sliding agonisingly wide, but they lived to regret these missed chances as a good header from Howarth saw the teams level.

Howarth netted again soon after, hooking home after weak Swifts defending, and only two outstanding tackles from Daryl Bourgeois prevented the visitors from going further in front.

Heybridge slowly worked their way back into the match as Sanders headed against his own bar under pressure from Marks.

With time running out Wiles went on a mazy run and as he looked to be running out of options until he struck an unstoppable 30 yard shot to ensure that the spoils would be shared.


AFC Sudbury 3 Wingate & Finchley 0

AFC Sudbury earned their first ever victory over Wingate & Finchley with a convincing display at Kings Marsh on Saturday.

They took an early lead when David Head's long ball allowed Rowe to outpace Helman before squaring the ball for Heath to run the ball home, with King appealing for offside.

Rowe increased the lead on the hour, sliding home Smith's headed pass at the far post before Cole should have pulled a goal back but screwed his shot wide from an open position.

Another fine build-up started by Bacon saw David Head's cross driven in by Boardley, the ball being blocked but rebounding to Smith who hooked the ball into the net via a post.

Munson's brilliant reflex save kept out Brown's point-blank header before Rowe looked to have made it four when he lobbed the ball over King but Aisen recovered to hook the ball off the line.

Arlesey Town 2 Wivenhoe 1

WIVENHOE Town slipped to yet another defeat at Arlesey Town on Saturday.

After a flying start Wivenhoe looked in little trouble until Kieran Johnson was beaten for pace and Barnes fired Arlesey ahead from the spot in the 18th minute.

To their credit Wivenhoe edged their way back into it as Proske saw an effort controversially disallowed for offside.

On the hour Barnes, who always is a nemesis to Wivenhoe, grabbed a second from an acute angle.

Again the Dragons showed real fire and with five minutes to spare Terry Rymer's pinpoint cross was met by Ben Lawson who found the net with a truly exquisite finish.

Canvey Island 1 Bury Town 2

A WEAKENED Bury Town came from behind to record their first win in five outings on Saturday.

Canvey took the lead after 21 minutes when the referee booked Bury keeper Dean Greygoose for handling the ball outside his area and Craig Davidson blasted the ball home from the resulting free-kick.

Both sides had opportunities early in the second half, but Canvey keeper Wiseman saved well from Danny Cornwell and Greygoose held a good header by Danny Curran.

The match was decided in a three-minute period midway through the half when first, after 67 minutes, a quick Bury break from a defensive position saw Danny Cornwell get clear of the Canvey defence to fire an unstoppable shot into the top corner from 25 yards.

And two minutes later Bury took the lead when, following a corner that Canvey failed to get away, the ball fell to Sam Nunn whose shot eluded Wiseman.

Canvey then took the initiative and had most of the possession as they pushed forward, however the Bury defence held firm to hold on for a hard fought victory.

Northwood 2 Maldon Town 1

MALDON Town missed a late penalty as they narrowly went down to Northwood.

After James Robinson had hit a post with an empty goal at his mercy, Northwood went up the other end and Aboul Yoki fired home from 20 yards to open the scoring after 12 minutes.

Northwood increased their lead soon afterwards when Danny Hart's shot was mistimed by Gould who could only palm it into the back of the net.

Maldon improved after the break but found Northwood keeper Swain in fine form.

The visitors set up an interesting finish when Steve Wareham's free-kick was volleyed home by Frankie Everitt with 10 minutes to go.

With just two minutes remaining Paul Shave was brought down in the area but Wayne Purser had his penalty kick saved by the Swain.

Waltham Forest 5 Witham 1

WITHAM Town were brought back down to earth after three wins with a heavy defeat at Waltham Forest.

After observing a minute's silence in remembrance of club president George Cross, who passed away recently, the Stags opened the scoring after 12 minutes through Shawn Evens.

The hosts went further ahead when Adrian Griffith was left unmarked following a corner before Witham's Cody McDonald rattled the crossbar.

Four minutes into the second half McDonald pulled one back for Witham but a goal from Ross Edwards and a brace from Jeff Hammond left Witham well beaten.


Needham Market 3 Leiston 0

NEEDHAM Market marched on with a comfortable 12th successive win on Saturday.

It took Needham 20 minutes to open the scoring when, following Craig Parker's pass, Tom Smith scored at the second attempt after Rose had blocked his initial effort.

Minutes later Evans' cross was headed home by Smith for his and Needham's second.

Needham increased their lead further in the 30th minute when Smith crossed to the far post for James Evans to head in for a brilliant goal.

Needham appeared to relax in the second half and Leiston should have scored as Lee McGlone shot just wide when clear and Jones made two great saves to keep out McGlone and Saker.

Kirkley & Pakefield 2 Mildenhall Town 1

KIRKLEY & Pakefield recorded their first home league win of the season in a thrilling game against Mildenhall Town.

The hosts took the lead after four minutes when Chris Henderson's low cross into the Mildenhall box was smashed past his own keeper by defender Graham Rush.

In an all-action match Simpson drew a good save from Paulling, while Dawson and Blyth both went close to increasing the advantage.

The lead was eventually doubled just before half time when Justyn Chenery headed the ball across the six-yard box for Paul Highfield to score from close range.

The only goal of an even second half came with six minutes to go, Daniel Flack winning and converting a penalty for the visitors.

Felixstowe & Walton 3 Newmarket Town 2

FELIXSTOWE & Walton United recovered from a nightmare start to beat Newmarket Town.

There were just 26 seconds on the clock when Ben Mhisi caught Cudworth off his line to give the Jockeys a shock lead.

And after Paynter had rattled the Felixstowe post in the fourth minute, Mhisi made it two after just nine minutes with a free header from Thorburn's corner.

The visitors might well have had two more. However Felixstowe reduced the deficit after half an hour as Phillips set up Hetherington to score.

Three minutes later Felixstowe were level when Elsom headed past his own keeper under pressure from Edwards' corner.

With the tide having turned the Newmarket goal was under siege for 15 minutes each side of the break but the visitors somehow survived. With ten minutes to go O'Leary spurned a clear chance to regain the lead for Newmarket and they were made to pay when Frost's free-kick was blocked and Scopes drilled home the rebound.

Haverhill Rovers 3 Lowestoft Town 1

HAVERHILL made it three wins out of three as Lowestoft were left without a win in the league in their last five matches.

The game's turning-point took place with just after half an hour gone after Lowestoft goalkeeper Andy Reynolds tripped Martin Westcott in the penalty area.

Reynolds was shown a red card, Mathew Potter took over in goal and Marcus Hunt scored from the resultant penalty kick.

Three minutes later Haverhill doubled their lead in a similar fashion, Andy Palazon's cross being handled by Carl Poppy and Hunt scoring once again from the spot.

Two minutes after the break the hosts went three goals up when Sam Green's cross was controlled by Westcott and Nick Impey nipped in to touch the ball past the helpless Potter.

Three minutes later Lowestoft pulled a goal back, Garry Magee firing past keeper Arron Benstead from 20 yards, but neither side fully threatened their opponents' goal before the final whistle.

Dereham 10 Ipswich Wanderers 1

FORMER Felixstowe No. 2 Steve Buckle knows he has a tough job on his hands as the new boss at Wanderers after this showing.

Six-nil down at the break, high-flying Dereham were all over Wanderers and showed no let-up in the second period, rattling up double figures on an embarrassing afternoon for the Ipswich side.

Soham 9 Woodbridge 1

WOODBRIDGE were thrashed at Soham, that incredibly after taking the lead.

It was in the third minute Paul Hart fired home from 30 yards, but that was as good as it was going to get for the Woodpeckers, who were played off the park.

Five-one down at the interval, Soham gleefully netted four more in the second half to leave Mick Stockwell's side having suffered their heaviest defeat of the season.

Wroxham 3 Walsham-le-Willows 0

FORMER Manchester United and Norwich City striker Alex Notman struck twice as Walsham lost in Norfolk. Notman scored from a penalty and then late on as the home side, whose form has been patchy of late had too much for Walsham. Lee Gilman netted in between Notman's two efforts.

Harwich & Parkeston 2 Histon Reserves 1

STRUGGLING Harwich & Parkeston secured a vital win against Histon Reserves on Saturday.

Harwich made their early pressure pay in the 12th minute, Liam Morley striking a thunderous 25-yard shot through a group of players.

The hosts should have increased their lead but the scores were level when Sam Murphy connected at the far post against the run of play just before the break.

Harwich dominated the second period but were forced to wait for the winner, Key managing only to parry a Jimmy Chatters shot into the path of the predatory Lee Underwood who guided his shot into the corner of the net.


Tiptree United 2 Gorleston 1

TIPTREE kept up their bid for promotion against a stubborn Gorleston defence.

The match got off at a furious pace as Eddie Thompson skimmed the Jam-Makers' bar with a header and Mark Reddaway shot inches wide at the other end.

Man of the match Lee Owen rammed a shot past keeper Annis Nialli to give Tiptree the lead, but the Greens were back on level terms just before the break when Nathan Thompson volleyed home.

It took a penalty in the 61st minute to settle the issue. Baillee was pulled back as he went clear and Tom English sent Nailli the wrong way from the spot.

Debenham LC 2 FC Clacton 2

TWO of Division One's promotion hopefuls shared the spoils in a compelling match. Clacton deservedly led at the interval through free-kick specialist Waters' superb 37th-minute effort.

However Debenham's positive approach to the second period brought instant results, Bibby's inch-perfect cross being headed home by Jopling after just a minute's play.

Hornets keeper Ellis made a fine double save from Carmichael and White before Jopling got on the end of a fine move to plant another header beyond Rulton and give Debenham the lead.

Clacton had two penalty appeals waved away and looked to be leaving Suffolk empty-handed until Waters unleashed an unstoppable 25-yard shot in injury time that flew past Ellis into the net.

Halstead 3 March 3

HALSTEAD will look back on two points lost after they twice let the lead slip.

The visitors took the lead from the penalty spot, Carl Foreman hitting the target after 14 minutes, while minutes later Halstead had penalty appeals of their own waved away.

Eventually Halstead struck twice in as many minutes midway through the half when a clever free kick by Paul Abrahams was cracked home by Bryan and almost from the kick-off the scorer turned provider when setting up Darren Bethell to side-foot home.

March staged a spirit response and they were eventually rewarded after 77 minutes when Rutherford was penalised for a second time in the box and Luke Pepper converted.

Halstead again took the lead after 82 minutes when Bryan charged down a Brooks clearance and ran on to tap into an empty goal, but March would not give up and Foreman, completely unmarked in the box, chested down and volleyed home.

Great Yarmouth 0 Long Melford 1

DOW'S single strike in the first half was enough for Long Melford to claim all three points at Yarmouth.

In a very low-key game, Dow's converted from close range after good work by Pride in the 14th minute, to give the Stoneylands' side all three points.

Godmanchester Rovers 1 Whitton United 1

THIS game was played out as one of the liveliest so far this season, with both sides pushing hard and fast right from the whistle.

Godmanchester made good use of the offside trap, continually grinding Whitton's attacks to a halt though this by no means deterred them as they pressed their early possession to the maximum. The home side had the first effort on goal which Brierly sliced well wide despite being in the clear, the Whitton defence for once caught flat-footed. Whitton were able to get the ball up to their opponents area but yet again were unable to make that killer pass that would result in a goal.

Crane's silky skills allowed his to jinx his way through the midfield but any further and the ball was being smothered. Wright and Mills combined for the visitors to put Crane through but his strike was pushed away by keeper Hunt, and his next effort flew over the bar.

Then against the run of play a quick ball forward found Bass who fired across Moyes to take the home side into the lead on 35 minutes. Goddy were pinned down in their own half for the remainder of the first period, but it took until the 58th minute for the equaliser to come, with Hyde stripping the ball through the midfield to Banya who spotted Inglis in the clear who blasted it past Hunt. Just as it looked all over, Whitton had a penalty when Mills was dragged back, but with Hunt saving from Inglis both sides had to settle for a point.

Diss Town 1 Hadleigh United 2

HADLEIGH kept up their good league record with a battling performance at Diss.

A volley by Dennett put Hadleigh ahead after 21 minutes but Diss attacked strongly after the break and Norman volleyed the equaliser after 67 minutes.

Hadleigh weathered the storm though and Rose headed the winner from Dennett's cross in the 71st minute.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un