Mallett pulls out of Birmingham move

PUBLISHED: 10:33 21 May 2009 | UPDATED: 14:13 04 March 2010

KING's Lynn's National League ace Darren Mallett has pulled out of a proposed Premier League switch to Birmingham.

Mallett had verbally agreed to the move but Lynn have now released an official statement citing personal reasons for the collapse of the move.

KING's Lynn's National League ace Darren Mallett has pulled out of a proposed Premier League switch to Birmingham.

Mallett had verbally agreed to the move but Lynn have now released an official statement citing personal reasons for the collapse of the move.

Stars' co-promoter Buster Chapman confirmed Mallett - who has turned in a series of impressive Premier Trophy home displays at number eight - will now remain at Saddlebow.

“I had put differences aside with Birmingham for the sake of Darren's career and gave them permission to talk to him about a team place,” said Chapman.

“After all, he is his own person and he knows we would support him in whatever he chooses to do. Unfortunately Darren made the mistake of rushing into giving Graham Drury an answer immediately over the phone, this is something we are all sometimes guilty of and before he knew it the whole thing was more serious than he had ever anticipated after Birmingham had publicly announced his signing within an hour (even though no personal or BSPA contracts had been signed).

“Darren is a great lad and didn't want to let anyone down so he desperately tried to get over his problems with work and when he realised he was stuck he decided to call myself and ask for help and advice.

“I immediately offered to deal with it on his behalf and let Birmingham know in writing about the situation after not being able to reach Tony Mole by phone.”

Birmingham boss Drury has now drafted James Cockle into the Brummies' line up for tonight's home Premier League opener at Perry Barr.

“Darren and I agreed everything at the weekend, he just had to check his availability for this Sunday's meeting because of work,” said Drury, on the Birmingham official site.

“He confirmed he would be available, that was the only issue and everything was agreed and put in place for him to ride for us.

“Amazingly, just 20 minutes later, I received an e-mail from King's Lynn speedway saying he wouldn't be able to ride for us because of his work. I will add no further comment as I'm sure fans will reach their own conclusions.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Green Un

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists