‘Rubbish’ Town bid for Townsend rejected, says Scunthorpe chairman
PUBLISHED: 18:15 23 July 2018 | UPDATED: 18:31 23 July 2018
PA Archive/PA Images
Scunthorpe United chairman Peter Swann says the League One club have rejected a ‘rubbish’ bid from Ipswich Town for left-back Conor Townsend.
A product of the Hull City youth team, the 25-year-old played under new Blues boss Paul Hurst during two loan spells at Grimsby Town before joining Scunthorpe on a free transfer in 2016.
He made 30 starts and six substitute appearances for the Lincolnshire club last season as Nick Daws’ men finished fifth in the third-tier before losing to Rotherham in the play-off semi-finals.
It’s been reported that the Iron have already rejected bids of around £250k for Townsend, Championship duo Hull and West Brom both strongly linked, with the player now entering the final year of his contract.
Speaking on Radio Humberside, Swann said: “We’ve had a couple of bids from a couple of clubs and interest from others with no bids.
“They’ve not reached our valuation and we don’t want him to go. He’s with us and will remain with us.
“Conor is professional and we’re treating the whole situation as professionally as we can.
“I’ve rejected their offer (Hull) and Ipswich put a bid in and I’ve knocked that back as well.
When asked about how short Ipswich and Hull are from Scunthorpe’s valuation, he replied: “I don’t want to discuss that at this moment in time.”
And when pushed on the issue, he replied: “They’re (the bids) rubbish. A lot of teams want players cheap at the minute and that’s not fair on clubs like us who have taken gambles on players.”
When asked if there is a chance his club could sell this summer, Swann replied: “Yeah, absolutely, if the right deal comes we have to think what’s right for the business.
“If I feel it’s right for the football club I’ll do it but it has to be the right offer and we’ve not had that at the minute.”
If Ipswich are targeting a left-back, it would put the future of Jonas Knudsen in doubt given the Danish international is now heading into the final year of his deal at Portman Road.
The 25-year-old joined up with his club-mates again for the first time today having started a World Cup last 16 defeat to Croatia at the start of this month.
Speaking following Saturday’s 1-0 friendly win at Barnet, Hurst said Knudsen would have to hit the ground running if he is to start the Championship opener against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, August 4.
The new Blues boss has made three summer signings so far in the form of Gwion Edwards (Peterborough, £700k), Trevoh Chalobah (Chelsea, loan) and Jordan Roberts (Crawley, free), while sanctioning the sale of Adam Webster (Bristol City, £3.5m).
Having worked his way up the managerial ladder at Ilkeston Town, Boston United, Grimsby Town and Shrewsbury Town, he has said he is more than happy to sign players from the lower leagues.
Town are closing in on the addition of striker Ellis Harrison from League One club Bristol Rovers, after a £750k fee was agreed, and are expected to make a third bid for Blackpool centre-back Curtis Tilt.