Knudsen named in Denmark’s provisional World Cup squad
PUBLISHED: 12:35 14 May 2018 | UPDATED: 12:43 14 May 2018
Ipswich Town defender Jonas Knudsen has been named in the provisional 35-man Denmark squad for this summer’s World Cup.
The left back was part of his national team’s squad for a series of friendlies throughout the second half of last season and has done enough to make the long list for this summer’s tournament in Russia.
He won his third full cap against Chile in March - his first since joining the Blues in the summer of 2015.
He faces competition for a place in the final squad for the World Cup, with Denmark manager Age Hareide naming a number of full backs in his provisional party.
Speaking earlier in the season, Knudsen said: “It was fantastic to get back into the squad again and the manager told me I trained well.
“It is not easy to get into the Danish team because they have done well to qualify for the World Cup finals in Russia, so to get 90 minutes against Chile was terrific for me.
“I am hopeful of going to Russia and I have a chance but there is still a lot of work to do. First and foremost I have to do well for Ipswich in the six remaining games.”
Knudsen is the second Ipswich player to be named in a provisional squad, with Bartosz Bialkowski called up by Poland on Friday.
The 30-year-old is one of four goalkeepers on the long list, with one likely to be cut when the final 23-man squad is announced before June 4.
Wojciech Szczesny (Juventus) and Lukasz Fabianski (Swansea) look certs to be on the plane, with Bialkowski – who only recently earned his first senior cap with 45 minutes in a 1-0 friendly defeat to Nigeria – battling with Lukasz Skorupski (Roma) for the other place.
Skorupski made just once senior club appearance this season, while Bialkowski finally caught the eye of his national team boss following yet another remarkable campaign in the Championship.