Non-league round-up: Defeats for Leiston, Needham and AFC Sudbury, but Bury Town rescue a point

PUBLISHED: 19:16 18 August 2018 | UPDATED: 19:21 18 August 2018

Ben Chenery, whose Bury Town side rescued a point in a 1-1 home draw against Romford this afternoon

Ben Chenery, whose Bury Town side rescued a point in a 1-1 home draw against Romford this afternoon

Both Leiston and Needham Market saw their 100% winning starts to the season ended by disappointing defeats this afternoon, in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Central.

LEISTON suffered a 1-0 loss at Barnbury United, in front of a crowd of 404.

Ricky Johnson’s 67th minute goal was enough to inflict a first defeat of the season on Glenn Driver’s men.

Likewise, Richard Wilkins’ NEEDHAM MARKET had a bad afternoon, losing 2-0 at home to Leicestershire-based Barwell with skipper Brady Hickey netting both goals in the second half.

In the Bostik Premier, BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT slithered to a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Margate.

AFC SUDBURY were beaten 1-0 at home by HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS in the Bostik North, in front of a crowd of 285.

The Suffolk side suffered the heartbreak of concediing a 94th minute goal, Sam Bantick converting a penalty after he had been fouled in the box by Jordan Blackwell.

BURY TOWN were held to a 1-1 home draw by Romford, securing a point thanks to substitute Tanner Call’s 84th minute equaliser, after Chris Taylor had put the Essex visitors ahead on the stroke of half-time. A gate of 296 was at Ram Meadow.

Elsewhere in Bostik North, MILDENHALL TOWN lost 2-1 at Basildon United, where Brian Moses and Marcus Bowers were on target for the Essex hosts in the second half. Tom Debenham had equalised in the 64th minute.

WITHAM TOWN celebrated a good 3-2 win on the road, at Barking, although league newcomers COGGESHALL TOWN were beaten 4-2 away at Dereham Town.

MALDON & TIPTREE were 1-0 winners at home to Brentwood Town in the same division. The goal came in the last minute courtesy of Sammie Mcleod.

FELIXSTOWE & WALTON UNITED were defeated 2-0 at Great Wakering Rovers.

Latest from the Green Un