SIL round-up: Bramford come from behind to earn draw, Zac Eales’ brace hands Grundisburgh win

PUBLISHED: 15:29 19 March 2017 | UPDATED: 15:29 19 March 2017

Grundisburgh in action against Westerfield earleir this season. Stock image

Grundisburgh in action against Westerfield earleir this season. Stock image


Achilles gave visiting Westerfield United no chance of claiming some of the spoils in the pair’s Suffolk and Ipswich League match on Saturday.

A pretty even first period ended with the hosts taking the lead when Lee Grimwood’s shot was saved by David Jacobs and Gavin VanOene, following up, fired into an open net.

After the break Westerfield were pinned into their own half for long periods and it was little surprise when Lee Grimwood extended the home advantage with a strong run into the penalty area and a shinner into the corner of the goal.

Westerfield had a good chance to reduce the arrears when Daniel Brkovic broke free but Sean Chaplin in the home goal saved with his legs.

Achilles’ third came near the end, VanOene claiming a brace although his shot from the edge of the box took a slight deflection on its way into the net.

Bramford United’s 2-2 away draw with East Bergholt United didn’t get off to the best of starts for their ‘keeper Liam Heffer-Thorpe after a collision with two other players.

He continued on however until diving while trying to save James Heathcote’s opener for the hosts, Kai Algar taking over in goal.

The lead was doubled after 57 minutes, Heathcote again netting the goal, before Harry Evans pulled one back for the visitors.

Daryl Alexander scored the equaliser, but neither side was able to find a third goal to claim all the points.

Two goals from Zac Eales was enough to give Grundisburgh the points after a scrappy game against hosts Capel Plough.

Having won their last three games the home side made the better start but it was the visitors who went in front after 30 minutes when ‘keeper Tom Williams was beaten to a high cross from Ben Prime by Eales.

Andy Richards headed wide before Gary Collins equalised from a corner just before the break, his glancing header going in off a defender.

What proved to be the winning goal came soon after the restart when Eales fired home from 20 yards after a quick break.

The visitors defence was well marshalled by Luke Reid as they held out against a home side which was unable to find an equaliser.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Green Un visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Green Un staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Green Un account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Championship League table

League One table

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla
MyDate24 MyPhotos24