Relegation-haunted AFC Sudbury are beaten again

Marc Charles-Smith celebrates the opening goal for Harrow

Marc Charles-Smith celebrates the opening goal for Harrow


Ryman Premier

AFC Sudbury 1

Harrow Borough 3

It was an entertaining action-packed first half that produced chances at both ends but, in a disappointing second period, the Sudbury custodian Marcus Garnham more than compensated for his crucial error on half-time and saved his relegation-threatened side from a heavier defeat.

Craig Parker levels for Sudbury Craig Parker levels for Sudbury

In front of 263 spectators the visitors started well with a Lewis Driver header safely claimed by Garnham and then Driver set up Marc Charles–Smith who struck a fierce shot that was brilliantly saved by the home keeper.

Sudbury responded when Sam Bantick’s corner was drilled low by Ryan Renshaw but was blocked and James Baker released Bantick who created space before powering his shot on target, but keeper Luke Williams punched clear.

Craig Parker then sent a square ball into the path of Bantick whose first time shot was again blocked by Williams and Tyler French’s cross was powerfully headed fractionally wide by skipper Sam Clarke that typified the home side’s misfortune in front of goal. The visitors went ahead in the 29th minute when the defence was caught napping and Marcus Charles–Smith latched onto a through ball and coolly beat Garnham from 18 yards.

However, Sudbury deservedly drew level on 38 minutes when a surging run by Joe Marsden produced the perfect low cross that was driven home by Parker. Bantick again tested Williams who punched clear and the keeper tipped over an effort from Marsden.

Craig Parker, left, and Sudbury celebrate his equaliser Craig Parker, left, and Sudbury celebrate his equaliser

Disaster struck for the home side on 45 minutes when Francis Babalola dispatched a low shot that Garnham spilled at the feet of Lewis Driver, who tapped in.

Immediately after the restart Marsden set up a great chance for Bantick at the far post, but he lifted over. The home side then lost momentum and gifted Harrow a third on 55 minutes when the visitors outnumbered defenders with ease, enabling Kurtis Cumberbatch to drill past the defenceless Garnham.

It was a feisty affair that saw six yellow cards as Harrow took control of the closing stages and Garnham excelled with a series of saves whilst at the other end substitute Danny Crow had two shots blocked. In the final minute Henshaw received a second yellow and Sudbury now face a huge challenge to survive.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Green Un visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Green Un staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Green Un account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Championship League table

League One table

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla
MyDate24 MyPhotos24