Leiston’s poor run continues with Lowestoft defeat

PUBLISHED: 19:25 17 April 2017 | UPDATED: 19:25 17 April 2017

Leiston leading scorer Matt Blake controls the ball. Pictures: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Leiston leading scorer Matt Blake controls the ball. Pictures: SARAH LUCY BROWN


Ryman Premier

Leiston 1

Lowestoft Town 2

There was a dramatic finish in this Suffolk derby with three late goals in a feisty affair that saw referee George Laflin produce eight yellow cards and dismiss Leiston boss Glen Driver from the dug-out.

An aerial battle between Leiston and Lowestoft An aerial battle between Leiston and Lowestoft

It has been a torrid time for Leiston and this latest setback against their local rivals from Lowestoft in front of 517 fans bares testament to their wretched sequence of results since February, having picked up a meagre 17 points from 19 matches.

From a place of strength Driver’s side have now slipped to sixth place in the Ryman Premier Division and to have any chance of the play–offs must beat Enfield Town in North London Saturday.

The visitors were weakened by injuries and suspensions but forced the early pace with Shaun Bammatt proving a handful up front.

But the first shot in anger came from Leiston’s leading scorer Matt Blake, driving powerfully over from 25 yards and Ade Cole’s fierce shot forcing Jake Jessup into a full length save.

Lowestoft clear their lines Lowestoft clear their lines

Joe Jefford sent a fine ball beyond the last defender to Blake but the keeper did well to deny the opportunity. At the other end Bammant went close with a close range shot.

After the break Leiston created a fine move culminating in Joe Francis and substitute Joe Marsden combining but resulted in Gareth Heath missing a great chance.

Frustration crept into proceedings and the referee became centre of attention. With so many stoppages the game lacked any fluency as both sides sought to grab the initiative.

With a draw looking the likely outcome Lowestoft shocked the home side by taking the lead on 86 minutes.

Leiston's Niko Muir wins the ball Leiston's Niko Muir wins the ball

The recent frailties of the home defence featured again when Jake Read in space nonchalantly drove past the helpless Ashley Jones much to the delight of the visiting supporters.

The home side attacked in search of an equaliser but three minutes later were caught on the break that resulted in Cole tripping Reed inside the box and Nico Cotton scored from the spot.

Deep into injury time Seb Dunbar sent a free kick into the penalty area that resulted in Connor Hubble pulling a goal back but it was too little too late.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Green Un visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Green Un staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Green Un account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Championship League table


League One table


Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla
MyDate24 MyPhotos24