Ollie Hughes wins West Suffolk derby clash as Bury beat Mildenhall

PUBLISHED: 12:49 11 February 2018 | UPDATED: 12:52 11 February 2018

Ollie Hughes scored Bury Town's winner against Mildenhall. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Ollie Hughes scored Bury Town's winner against Mildenhall. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN


Bostik North

Bury Town 2

Mildenhall Town 1

Bury won this feisty Bostik North local derby on a Ram Meadow pitch that was heavy from the outset and deteriorated as the match progressed, writes John Campany.

Cemal Ramadan
 was on traget once again for Bury Town. Picture: RICHARD MARSHAM Cemal Ramadan was on traget once again for Bury Town. Picture: RICHARD MARSHAM

Decent football was impossible, but nevertheless there were plenty of spills and thrills for the 337 spectators in attendance.

Ben Chenery’s side triumphed with Ollie Hughes winner on 78 minutes in a second half that was often bad tempered and saw referee Mr James Turner administer seven yellow cards.

Bury had the best of the first half in terms of possession and both Darren Mills and Hughes presented a challenge with their pace. However, the visitors went close when Claudio Ofosu made a forging run before crossing into the box but Ollie Fenn denied Thomas Debenham with an excellent tackle.

The home side failed to fully test Jake Hallett in the visiting goal until the 40th minute when leading scorer Cemal Ramadan beat him with a clever lob from the edge of the box.

After the break Dean Greygoose’s side should have taken advantage of some poor home defending.

In fact, The Hall could so easily have netted three times in a ten minute spell. Firstly Jack Wilkinson’s cross should have been converted by Mathew Green from a yard out and then the lively Ofoso lifted over in front of goal from six yards.

With the Bury side still in the dressing room Jake Chambers-Shaw strode through a static defence, but fired into the side netting. But the visitors finally took advantage of poor marking and equalised when, on 57 minutes, Debenham tapped home following a corner.

The home side then woke from their slumber and Hallett made a point blank save from Tevan Allen, while Darren Mills went close with a header.

At the other end Joe White under hit a back pass, but Ofosu failed to take advantage and Luis Tibbles bravely dived at the oncoming striker’s feet to foil the chance.

A melee then occurred when Gareth Simpson made a poor challenge and was perhaps fortunate to escape with a yellow card.

After the referee had restored order with the help of his assistants the resultant free kick found the visitors defence in disarray and Hughes scrambled the ball over the line to give Bury the three points.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Green Un visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Green Un staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Green Un account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Championship League table


League One table


Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla
MyDate24 MyPhotos24
$render.recurse($ctx, '$content.code.value')