Bury bounce back to move up Bostik North table in five-goal game

16 September, 2018 - 09:48
GOAL Great Wakering full back Jason Ring heads into his own goal to give Bury the points in the 85th minute. Photo: PAUL VOLLER

GOAL Great Wakering full back Jason Ring heads into his own goal to give Bury the points in the 85th minute. Photo: PAUL VOLLER


Bury Town 3 Great Wakering 2

Bury bounced back from last week’s FA Cup disappointment to record their second league win of the season and move up to 10th place in the Bostik League North Division table.

The decisive goal came five minutes from the end of normal time when visiting defender Jason Ring could only divert Ollie Hughes’ effort into his own net and having already been pegged back twice, Ben Chenery’s men held out for the points which they probably deserved.

Bury opened the scoring with only 40 seconds on the clock as Ian Miller headed a Jake Chambers-Shaw free kick across the six-yard box and Hughes got the final touch at the back post.

The Blues could have extended their lead on 16 minutes when a Chambers-Shaw curler was tipped onto the post by New Zealander Coey Turipa in the Rovers’ goal and then Hughes volleyed over after being set up by Ryan Jolland.

Little was seen of Great Wakering in attack until Brandy Makhendi bent an effort narrowly wide on the half hour.

The hosts replied with a towering header from Ollie Fenn which was clawed away by Turipa who also made a point-blank stop from Hughes.

Rovers equalized somewhat against the run of play in first-half injury time when Stephen Butterworth just about squeezed the ball home from the spot after Jake Kerins brought down Jake Gordon as he turned him in the box. Bury regained the lead on 52 minutes as an acrobatic pass from Ryan Horne sent Tanner Call clear to finish with the aid of a deflection.

Wakering’s introduction of Billy Johnson from the bench shortly afterwards gave the visitors’ midfield more creativity and it was Johnson who twice found openings for Adam Vyse but the striker was unable to apply the finish.

Rovers were then awarded a free-kick 20 yards out and Johnson stepped up himself to produce a moment of magic as he bent his effort into the top corner to make it 2-2.

Bury then went looking to restore their lead again with Chambers-Shaw going close before the decisive goal arrived soon afterwards through Ring’s unfortunate intervention

Newsletter Sign Up

Green Un tri-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read

Show Job Lists

Championship League table


League One table

MyDate24 MyPhotos24