Braintree Town 2 Chippenham Town 0 match report - Iron remain unbeaten after three games

PUBLISHED: 12:53 13 August 2017 | UPDATED: 12:54 13 August 2017

Scott Shulton scored for Braintree. Picture: STEVE WALLER

Scott Shulton scored for Braintree. Picture: STEVE WALLER

© Copyright Stephen Waller

Vanarama National League South

Braintree Town 2

Chippenham Town 0

Ten-man Iron put up a tremendous backs-to-the-wall second half performance to maintain their two-goal first half lead and so collect all three points in this feisty encounter at Cressing Road and remain unbeaten after three games.

The home side had controlled the first half with Karl Oliyide opening the scoring on 19 minutes with a well taken goal set up by the industrious Scott Shulton in midfield.

The Iron kept up the pressure and on 31 minutes Phil Roberts was unlucky not to add his side’s second when his first time volley came back off the crossbar with visiting keeper Jared Thompson well beaten.

Roberts was not to be denied though because he duly added the Iron’s second on 44 minutes with an exceptional strike after a great passing move down the left wing by the Iron with final cross being met first time by the striker who drove the ball into the top of the net.

Just on half-time Iron keeper Nathan McDonald, rarely troubled all afternoon, pulled off a great save to deny Matt Smith.

Three minutes into the restart though it all went horribly wrong for the home side when central defender Christian Frimpong was shown a second yellow card for a foul leaving Iron boss Brad Quinton to reorganise, forcing him to take off two key midfielders – Shulton and Luke Allen – for more defensive players.

Obviously the tactical changes made the Iron not quite so dominant in midfield as they had been and they allowed the visitors to come forward but full credit to the defence they held firm and never let the visitors have a clear shot at goal.

The manager’s changes clearly worked because the home defence continued to frustrate the visitors every time they attacked causing few problems for keeper McDonald

The Iron were also denied a blatant penalty on 71 minutes when substitute Mahrez Battache was hauled down in the area but referee Aji Ajibola surprisingly to the home players ignored their appeals.

Quinton added: “I am pleased we won and collected all three points got and that we kept a clean sheet and full marks to the players for their second half efforts when we up against it.”


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Green Un visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Green Un staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Green Un account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Championship League table

League One table

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla
MyDate24 MyPhotos24