December 5 2013 Latest news:
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Football writer Sian Trimble-Davey looks at today’s hottest transfer rumours.
- Newcastle – After French side Montpellier accepted Newcastle’s £7 million bid for centre-back Mapou Yanga-Mibwa, Alan Pardew didn’t expect Yanga-Mibwa not to turn up for his medical and are now in fear of losing out to another Premier League club as rumours are going around that Arsenal are also in pursuit of the defender.
Another target for the Magpies is Yoan Gouffran, who currently plays for Bordeaux and has scored 10 goals in 22 Ligue 1 this season.
- Chelsea – Frank Lampard is close to signing a contract with LA Galaxy on a free transfer, but the club insist that he will stay at Stamford Bridge for the rest of this season. The attacking midfielder’s contract at Chelsea runs out at the end of this season and he has been in talks with the Galaxy, who have marked him as a replacement for David Beckham who left the team in November. He’ll even be on the same salary as Beckham, £4 million a year.
(London Evening Standard)
- Fulham – Since Fulham’s FA Cup tie against Blackpool, Manager Martin Jol has had his eye on the Seasiders midfielder Ludovic Sylvestre.
Jol is in the market for a midfielder but due to lack of funds he must consider Sylvestre along with Premier League players such as Tottenham’s Tom Huddelstone and Jake Livermore as he has some competition who are willing to dig deeper into their pockets.
Sylvestre, 28, will be out of contract this summer and would suit Jol’s budget.
- Manchester United – Alex Ferguson is certain that United will sign Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha for £12 million pounds despite Arsenal also showing interest.
Ferguson has labelled Zaha the most exciting player outside of the Premier League.
Palace were adamant that Zaha would not be for sale but Ferguson has agreed to loan him back to the club for the rest of the season.
- Liverpool – Liverpool are close to snapping up Inter Milan’s Phillippe Coutinho after the Reds agreed to increase their bid for the midfielder.
The new bid has gone up to £8 million and Brendan Rogers is confident that it will be accepted after the £5 million was refused by the Serie A club.
Coutinho is said to be a replacement for Wesley Sneidjer, who is moving to Turkish side Galatasary.
- West Brom – West Brom are currently struggling in the middle of the table and haven’t seen a win in six games, the last thing they want to do is lose one of their best players.
Despite their best efforts to keep Peter Odemwingie, he has other ideas and apparently wants to get permission to talk to Queens Park Rangers, who have had their £2.5 million bid for the striker refused.
They want to offer Odemwingie £40,000 a week plus a bonus and contract extension for his signature and things look promising as Odemwingie has refused to pledge his future to Albion