Non-league round-up: League draws for Leiston and Needham; Cup wins for Bury Town and AFC Sudbury

PUBLISHED: 18:01 25 August 2018 | UPDATED: 18:01 25 August 2018

Christy Finch, netted a penalty in Leiston's 2-2 home draw against Tamworth. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Christy Finch, netted a penalty in Leiston's 2-2 home draw against Tamworth. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN


Leiston and Needham Market were both denied by late goals as they had to settle for draws in the Evo-Stik Southern League Central Division this afternoon.

LEISTON were in command at 2-0 up against Tamworth, only for the Lambs to bag two goals in the last half-four to secure a 2-2 draw at Victory Road.

Jake Reed broke the deadlock in the seventh minute, and Christy Finch doubled the lead with a 38th minute penalty.

However, Chris Lait halved the deficit in the 61st minute, and Akwasi Asante equalised on 80 minutes.

NEEDHAM MARKET drew 1-1 at St Ives Town.

Jeremiah Kamanzi put the Marketmen 1-0 up in the 50th minute, but Richard Wilkins’ men were pegged back by Robbie Parker’s 88th minute penalty for the hosts.

There was a win in this division for LOWESTOFT TOWN, who scored two late goals to secure an impressive 3-1 win at Stratford Town.

Shaun Bammant netted after only three minutes for the visitors, but it was 1-1 at half-time and heading for a draw until Ben Fowkes (83) and Jacek Zielonka (88) both hit the target for Lowestoft.

Meanwhile, there were good wins for Bury Town and AFC Sudbury in the preliminary round of the FA Cup.

BURY TOWN, thanks to a brace from Ollie Hughes (41 and 45 minutes) triumphed 2-0 away at Waltham Abbey.

Meanwhile, AFC SUDBURY were also 2-0 winners, at home to Suffolk rivals MILDENHALL TOWN.

Darrly Coakley headed home the opener in the 37th minute, and Phil Kelly doubled the lead following a good run by Jordan Blackwell.

Also in the FA Cup, HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS beat West Essex 3-0 at Scraley Road, thanks to three first-half goals.

Matthew Price scored a brace, on eight minutes and then with a 40th minute penalty, sandwiching a goal from Sam Bantick (17).

But MALDON & TIPTREE bowed out, beaten 2-1 at Haverhill Rovers. The Jammers led 1-0 at the break, through Decarrey Sherrif, but Rovers came storming back and their winner came via Marc Abbott’s penalty.

Newsletter Sign Up

Green Un tri-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read

Show Job Lists

Championship League table

League One table
MyDate24 MyPhotos24